5 Axis Plasma

More
15 Oct 2020 02:42 #186144 by htdave
5 Axis Plasma was created by htdave
Has anyone setup a 5 axis plasma cutter with linuxCNC?

I am looking at converting my standard XYZ table to 5 axis so I can do beveling - mainly to counteract the taper of holes so I get a more accurate hole.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2020 05:32 #186149 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 5 Axis Plasma
Grotius shared some photos a long time ago but it was before plasmac. Linuxcnc certainly supports 5 axis. The post processor might be a challenge.

More
15 Oct 2020 12:56 #186198 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 5 Axis Plasma
And you do need a high definition torch for that, with normal torches the angle will be compounded by the lack of directional pressure causing the cuts to be even worse.

More
15 Oct 2020 20:57 #186232 by htdave
Replied by htdave on topic 5 Axis Plasma

And you do need a high definition torch for that, with normal torches the angle will be compounded by the lack of directional pressure causing the cuts to be even worse.

Well that will quickly put an end to that plan. I Wasn't planning on spending the mega $ to get a HD plasma.

Looks like I'm back to my original theory of cutting holes undersize, and then adding a small milling spindle to mill out to the correct size.

More
15 Oct 2020 22:48 #186239 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 5 Axis Plasma
You can always try to raise the pressure up to 7Bar and see if something blows up or you get better cuts.
Can we see some pictures of the cuts you are getting now ?
As general rules:
-the torch must be perpendicular to the material, any misalignment will show on the cuts as slopes
-experiment with cutting speeds and cutting height, there is no other way around it and the charts are useless in most cases
-change the swirl rings often like a week or two if used daily and all day,
Additional info from experience with many types of torches:
-very often on normal torches the nozzle will end up very near the electrode due to tightening the cup to much and that will mess up the air flow, and short of changing the torch there is little that can be done, but there is ! :) Tighten the cup just till the nozzle can not be moved with a finger any more. To check the air flow from the nozzle while the air is on put the hand under it with palm facing torch, there should be visible dents on the hand skin where the middle of the torch is blowing. DO NOT TURN ON THE TORCH while doing this !!! Just the air, best when the post flow is still on and torch is disabled in PlasmaC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds