Shielded cable - Attaching the drain

More
09 Feb 2021 17:09 #198163 by txtrone
I know it's important to attach the shield/drain cable to the cabinet ground only, not at the motor. What about other locations where shielded cable has been used? My power supplies are in a separate cabinet than my mesa board and drivers, the cable I used has a shield... should I connect it at all?

What about sensor cables, if they have a shield, should they be connected on either end?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2021 17:44 #198170 by Todd Zuercher
Cable shields should always be connected only at one end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
09 Feb 2021 18:26 #198174 by txtrone

Cable shields should always be connected only at one end.

In the case where shielded cable is run between two cabinets, carrying power from the PSUs to the Mesa and driver boards... does it matter which side the shield is connected?

Thanks

More
09 Feb 2021 18:46 #198176 by Todd Zuercher
Probably not, but it is generally best to try to keep them as common as possible (star grounding).
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
09 Feb 2021 19:14 #198186 by txtrone

Probably not, but it is generally best to try to keep them as common as possible (star grounding).

Thanks! I will ground them all in the 'control cabinet'.

More
11 Feb 2021 10:42 #198380 by Mike_Eitel
If you need to have better emf protection connect them via parallel RC to ground on second side. Take a good capacitor. Even you could meassure the voltage over the resistor. Such connection is by the way my way of connecting all my psu's to the central earthing point of my cnc. My R's are in the few hundred ohms. An i do dislike to see dc-volts over them ;-().
Mike

More
11 Feb 2021 23:33 #198455 by Michael
Often you will find specific instructions for control and signal wiring in regards to the shield and how it should be grounded. The 7i77 boards specify to have the analog output shields grounded to the analog negative.

From my limited experience control signaling cables will be shield grounded to the device sending the signals and only to the one end. Typically one of the wires establishes common between the two devices.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds