Plasma cutter torch upgrade - Unimig/Hypertherm

More
25 Sep 2021 11:49 #221544 by RNJFAB
Currently I'm humming an Unimig razor cut 45 with a hand torch in my CNC plasma.

While its great, its all time to upgrade the torch. I have been looking to just get the Unimig machine torch as it will just connect up to the plasma and be easy enough to mount on the z axis. 

however.

I have been considering a hypertherm powermax 45xp torch instead. Price wise they are pretty close. consumables for the hypertherm are a bit more expensive, and the hypertherm will support ohmic sensing (which will be the next upgrade after the torch and new z axis). 

Does anyone have a unimig razor cut 45 running a non unimig torch? 
anyone running a hypertherm torch who can give some feedback to how good it is/consumable life?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2021 12:07 - 25 Sep 2021 12:08 #221545 by snowgoer540
I run a Hypertherm 65XP. 100% happy with it. Hypertherm leads the industry. It's hard to beat that.

Consumables are a bit more expensive, but they last longer.

Also, later you can decide to add the RS485 communications, which IMO if you have a Hypertherm and do any regular cutting with it, should be mandatory.

If you decide to go the Hypertherm route, you can make your own CPC cable and save yourself some coin. I think the part numbers are posted around here somewhere, if not I can dig them up.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2021 12:08 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNJFAB

More
25 Sep 2021 13:18 #221546 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNJFAB

More
11 Oct 2021 11:07 #222841 by RNJFAB
Thanks, but not quite what I was after.

Not looking to upgrade the machine yet (hypertherm XP65 here in Australia starts around 7k)

Wondering if I can use a hypertherm torch (to get ohmic sensing) running while still using my unimig machine.

Just seeing what torch people have upgraded to when using a unimig machine.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds