future project

More
13 Feb 2022 22:29 #234765 by machinedude
future project was created by machinedude
well i wish i could say i had plans to jump into this right now but that's not the case :) long story short i needed something to destroy some lower control arms on my truck that need to come off and i figured i could cut them off if i had a plasma cutter so i figured if i had to get one i would try to get something that might get used on a cnc table. This is a fairly new addition to Amazon and was only $250 more then the cheaper units. so for $500 i figured what the heck might as well give it a try :) 

could end up being a turd or something entry level that could be useful time will tell. but if it burns through some rusty control arms so i can replace them that would make me a little bit happy for now :) they have a 80A unit but that's a bit power hungry for my needs so this one was a better fit for my needs and budget.

should have it in hand in a few days.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2022 18:55 #234970 by machinedude
Replied by machinedude on topic future project
Came today but i was surprised at how small the unit is. not very big by any means. not sure about the claims on cut thicknesses. 14 mm clean cut seems a bit of a stretch. once i get my outlet in i will have time to play with it and see. most of these cheap units fall sort on claims and end up being useful for 1/4 material. duty cycle is 60% at 60A but the consumables you get are only rated for 40 amps so finding the right kind my be fun. the torch that came with it is a IPT-65 hand torch. i was looking for consumables for it but not much luck just yet. seems like there is a gap between the IPT-60 and IIPT-80 so at a quick glance it seems like a bit of an oddball at the moment.

but seriously this thing is tiny like slightly bigger than a toaster tiny :)

More
15 Feb 2022 20:58 #234979 by machinedude

i stand corrected :) i had my doubts about 14mm clean cut. but i test cut some 1/2 hot rolled and it did not have to much trouble. for the record i have never cut anything with a plasma torch before this so the slag on the bottom is most likely me and my settings. you get zero settings in the manual and that part is not very useful.

what i got after less than 60 seconds of practice :) if it lasts i love it :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight

More
16 Feb 2022 12:59 #235038 by machinedude
I have one complaint and it's a big one if you want to keep the hand torch. consumables are impossible to find for this unit. i think but i don't know that much about plasma torches you can upgrade to a machine torch for under $300 so taking some time to check out the consumables making sure you can get them would be a good idea.

it's a shame the consumables are not easy to locate. the machine seems to cut well and has the signal and arc voltage pins built into the unit and they even give you the connectors for those plugs with it. 4 pin connector on the signal and a 2 pin connector on the arc voltage.

switching to a different torch is not a big deal to me it just would have been nice to have the hand torch for other stuff not cnc related.

so this is my warning :) consumables for a IPT-65 hand torch are either really hard to find or not out there?

More
16 Feb 2022 21:15 #235080 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic future project
Check with Everlast. They use IPT torches so may have consumables that work for you.

More
17 Feb 2022 09:37 #235110 by machinedude
i did look at their stuff and it's not the same. IPT60 and IPT80 consumables are more common and can be found however this IPT65 is a is an oddball. the manual has part numbers for consumables but no phone number or website information is to be found in the manual?

i did find a company that does aftermarket replacement part's called PlasmaDyn that seems to make adaptors for just about everything but i would have to call them and talk to someone most likely to see if they might have a solution? i think any straight torch that is non HF and has the blowback start has the same connection at the unit, the tip and consumables is the end where all the parts get specific to the torch.

More
17 Feb 2022 11:22 #235118 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic future project
Time to build a plasma table I think.
That looks like what they call a Central Connector for the torch.
So you will be able to buy a machine torch for it and that will solve your consumables problem.
Look for say a Traffiment S75 machine torch. They often put bigger torches on cnc due to the higher duty cycle,
Thats what everlast sold me.

More
17 Feb 2022 11:24 #235119 by machinedude
this is the nozzle and electrode for this torch. they give you 2 extra of each but that's not going to last forever. it looks like the nozzle might be the same on the IPT60 torch but the electrode is different.

Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2022 03:52 #235213 by machinedude
i guess if the wheel squeaks loud enough you get oiled :) they have them on amazon but out of stock at the moment. just found out more are on the way so i will have to wait and see.

i still think IPT 65 is an oddball torch. nobody even list them or any kind of mention of them anywhere? i don't think you will get any kind of selection on tips and it looks like it's a one size fits all deal. so that's a down side to cheap plasma cutters i guess.

More
18 Feb 2022 14:36 - 18 Feb 2022 14:36 #235236 by machinedude
while i was at it i asked the seller about a compatible straight torch and was told the PTM 80 works with this plasma unit and the larger unit as well.

they also sell them but are out of stock but these torches are common and found pretty easy along with the consumables. you might need to look around to find a range of tips for different thickness of materials but i would think you can since this torch is a common straight torch.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2022 14:36 by machinedude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds