Plasma setting help - 10MM steel plate

More
21 Apr 2022 11:28 #240791 by RNJFAB
evening all,

I have been trying to cut some 10mm plate with my CNC (LINK - forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/42411...p-plasma-cnc?start=0 ) ( it's a long read so her are the important parts - QtPlasmac, 1200x1200 bed with ballscrews, 7i96, THCAD10-THC, THCAD10-Ohmic sen, Unimig RazorCut45 plasma)

And while I have dialed it all in fairly well i'm still having issues with the kerf on the cut. 

I have been cutting a simple gear and spike and the front is sweet, but the back is not. I'm getting a taper on the cuts that would indicate the torch height is to low, however, the torch height is great up to 5mm. 

FYI I'm running 45Amp, 270mm/min, Pierce height 3.7mm, Cut height 1.3mm.

Any suggestions ? what settings are you using for 10mm steel?

Pictures

Cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2022 14:03 #240798 by tommylight
The fact that you achieved that cut with a 45A ( probably lower if it is china...) is magnificent ! :)
10A per mm is a general rule for good cuts.
As with everything, that is not a rule, it can vary a lot, form quality of the current provided by the plasma source, to torch, to nozzles, to material content, to humidity in air, etc etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNJFAB

More
01 May 2022 10:05 #241787 by RNJFAB
Thanks Tommy,

I have been watching how other people go with the razor cut in an effort to refine my processes (speeds and feeds).

This guy seems to be cutting up to 25mm (edge start) with fairly decent results.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds