options for combining probe, home and/or torch breakaway?

More
09 Nov 2022 14:44 #256290 by andypugh
I don't think that your CL is adding anything?

You are perfectly free to do this in HAL:
net  some_input  parport.0.pin-00-in => joint.0.home-sw-in motion,probe-input plasmac.breakaway plasmac-float-switch

Any HAL output pin (physical inputs are HAL outputs, they write a value to other pins) can drive as many HAL input pins as you want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2022 16:00 - 09 Nov 2022 16:01 #256291 by dlv
Thanks for the followup Andy.   Greatly appreciated.

What you said makes total sense and I started out trying to do something like what you gave.  I got several errors like "Pin 'plasmac.breakaway' was already linked to signal 'plasma:breakaway-switch-out'" and more like that.  I'm probably running up against some newbie ignorance here.     I think, not sure, that something in the setup done by pncconf already created connections like that?  

I suspect that my ladder is probably a hack and just creating a new unused signal to get around what I don't quite fully understand.   I'm also probably getting signals and pins mixed up.

So I'll beat my head against this a bit more.  I want to learn how to this right as I'm sure I'll be doing more customizations down the road and some a good bit more complex.   If I get over this simple attempt, those will go much better.

Just for reference, I believe the actual syntax I would use with my h/w would look like this if I emulated the example you gave:
net z-multi-sw hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.input-10 motion.probe-input joint.3.home-sw-in plasmac.breakaway plasmac.float-switch

I'm going through my config files today to see where those signals/pins are already linked, try to unlink them and then try this approach and see what happens.   I backed up my config first.  :)
Last edit: 09 Nov 2022 16:01 by dlv.

More
09 Nov 2022 16:52 #256293 by dlv
Update: I quickly got into trouble. :/

By trying to unlink things to fix those errors I found they're tied to more things like debouncing physical inputs signals that are then tied to stuff in the GUI and possibly other things I'm not sure about. I quickly got lost.

I'm sure it's doable but rather than try to sort that all out I'll stick with the ladder approach. I realize it's possibly an unnecessary layer of abstraction but that's working for me at the moment.

I still have a torch holder & the actual breakaway mount to build. Time to get on that. :)

More
09 Nov 2022 16:57 #256294 by andypugh
The "signal" is the first thing after the "net" and signals can not appear anywhere else in the "net" statement.

It seems logical that you should be able to connect two signals together, but you can't do it in a net statement, ie net signal pin signal (or whatever) isn't allowed. In fact you can't do it at all as far as I know except via a HAL component (which is what your CL was doing)

You can "unlink" pins in the HAL file (and "delsig" signals. if you want, but you want to be very sure that the signal isn't used elsewhere before doing that)

More
09 Nov 2022 21:57 #256308 by phillc54
FWIW I run my table without a separate wire for breakaway. Mine is mechanically designed so that only one switch is required. You could use a n/c float switch and a n/c breakaway switch wired in series to the float switch input. The float switch input will act as both/either depending on what state the machine is in.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds