Z Probe Height Setting

More
20 Sep 2019 14:46 #145676 by EW_CNC
I have a question with setting Z probe height.
The probing is working ok for me, but I am wondering if I am missing something to improve the probe function.
My bottom limit / slat height seems to be ok.
I am cutting a wide range of material thickness.
When I set the probe height for thick plate I need to set it high, then when I switch to thin sheet it (probe speed) slows down much to soon. If I set it for thin sheet and forget to increase it for thick plate, it's slowdown is below the top of the sheet and it rapidly hits the plate.
Should I be setting material height with a probe at the beginning of gcode?
Would it be possible to have a material parameter that would set the material thickness, so that the probe height could be set from material height?
I would like to have all probes, thick or thin have a minimal probe height approx 1/8" to 1/4" above material height, but the probe slowdown is necessary.
EW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2019 23:25 #145722 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Z Probe Height Setting

I have a question with setting Z probe height.
The probing is working ok for me, but I am wondering if I am missing something to improve the probe function.
My bottom limit / slat height seems to be ok.
I am cutting a wide range of material thickness.
When I set the probe height for thick plate I need to set it high, then when I switch to thin sheet it (probe speed) slows down much to soon. If I set it for thin sheet and forget to increase it for thick plate, it's slowdown is below the top of the sheet and it rapidly hits the plate.
Should I be setting material height with a probe at the beginning of gcode?
Would it be possible to have a material parameter that would set the material thickness, so that the probe height could be set from material height?
I would like to have all probes, thick or thin have a minimal probe height approx 1/8" to 1/4" above material height, but the probe slowdown is necessary.
EW

The way that you are doing it is the way it was designed.
I know it is not perfect and I have often thought about ways of improving it.
I do think your idea of a material height parameter has some merit. It would be interesting to hear other folks responses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EW_CNC

More
21 Sep 2019 07:43 #145739 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Z Probe Height Setting
The way it works with thc_toma is:
Immediate homing ( does not search for home switch ) so i can home at any height
When M3 is issued it will move downwards until it trips the floating switch, or till the end of the travel set in the ini file.
That way i can home it 20 cm above material and it will still work properly, with the added time to travel that distance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
27 Oct 2019 02:20 #148858 by grijalvap
Replied by grijalvap on topic Z Probe Height Setting
Hi, I have noticed the piercing and cutting height, are not properly calibrated, however when I check the z-axis travel using G0 the length is correct, but not during the cutting or piercing process should I need to adjust any other parameter than the scale in the Z-axis ini file section
I know this question should be aswered before, so please just point me to the response,

More
27 Oct 2019 03:37 #148860 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Z Probe Height Setting
If Z moves the correct amount for a G0 or G1 then it is set up correctly.

The only thing that can vary the height that PlasmaC sets to is the amount of debounce set in your connections.hal or the accuracy of the float switch or ohmic probe.

You can try doing a few probe tests to determine what the height is. forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37670-trying-...-with-plasmac#148856

More
27 Oct 2019 15:44 #148891 by grijalvap
Replied by grijalvap on topic Z Probe Height Setting
Thanks, I have double-checked the float switch settings and there was the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds