plasmac ground

More
30 Mar 2020 09:20 #162084 by billykid
plasmac ground was created by billykid
hi, now i'm ready to cut, the machine moves well and the z axis follows the tension on the thc like a dog
I only have some doubts about shielding .. I am attaching a simplified drawing to better understand us.
in particular if it is okay to connect the shield of the thcad to the point of the eight capacitors on the divider and the two metal boxes on one point together with the generator power positive.
the other shielded cable for the signals I thought of connecting the screen on both sides to the metal boxes.

regards
Mauro
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2020 20:00 #162488 by billykid
Replied by billykid on topic plasmac ground
nobody? :(

More
02 Apr 2020 20:24 #162491 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic plasmac ground
The THCAD has two GND terminals. I connected the cable shield to one terminal and grounded the other terminal to the metal box it was mounted in. Be sure to leave the divider end of the cable shield unconnected. The same applies to the 8 wire cable shield.

I would use a seperate ground for the plasma machine (should be a ground rod) and not connect it to the electronics enclosure. I don't have my plasma machine connected to any ground rod though. But its not HF start.

Hypertherm have a good document on grounding, so check what they say. I might be wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billykid

More
03 Apr 2020 01:03 #162520 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic plasmac ground
If you can fire the torch and make cuts while nothing is out of order, do not connect anything any more.
When the shielding is not properly done, you will know the first time you fire the torch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billykid, thefabricator03

More
03 Apr 2020 07:20 #162538 by billykid
Replied by billykid on topic plasmac ground
thanks Rod and Tom.
more than anything I was interested in the opinion of someone who had done it, I know that shielding is one of the difficult things.
however this plasma and this divider worked well without disturbances on an analogue thc that I had built 20 years ago .. I remember that for tachometer I had put on the z motor a small motor for cd drawer. as shielding I had connected the 8-pole signal cable only on the divider side and that of the thc signal only on the capacitors of the divider.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds