Recent PlasmaC Update and No Motion

More
30 Aug 2020 06:06 #180026 by tommylight

An hour ago you were starting battles! (on another thread)

Broadening my skill set ! :)

Did it really happen? (Lose ArcOK) or did Plasmac imagine it?.
1. Does your machine have an ArcOK output?
2. Are you using it?
3. What material and thickness?
4. What is your pierce delay? (if too long, the material will burn away and maybe loos a valid arc.)

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. mild steel, 15mm
4. 1.5s, it would stay lit in one place for nearly 30 seconds
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2020 06:12 #180027 by tommylight

I have described this issue many times. I do not know my current version. I think if the float switch is not working and ohmic fails, it goes into an endless probing loop. It may well have been fixed.

On my machine it hits the bottom limit, pauses, goes to maximum height and displays a bottom limit reached error.

Same here, no issue there.

More
30 Aug 2020 06:14 #180028 by phillc54

1.5s, it would stay lit in one place for nearly 30 seconds

The latest update should fix that Tom. It is still being built by the Buildbot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Aug 2020 07:54 #180035 by rodw

I have described this issue many times. I do not know my current version. I think if the float switch is not working and ohmic fails, it goes into an endless probing loop. It may well have been fixed.

On my machine it hits the bottom limit, pauses, goes to maximum height and displays a bottom limit reached error.

Same here, no issue there.

How can you hit the bottom limit when there is material on the table?

More
30 Aug 2020 07:58 #180036 by phillc54

Well if there is material under the torch then it will breakaway and the same result.

More
30 Aug 2020 08:06 #180037 by rodw

Well if there is material under the torch then it will breakaway and the same result.

Thats an assumption and does not happen in the real world. Certainly not on my table.

On 2 mm plate, the material can bend down and also float travel can cope with a few mm.

More
30 Aug 2020 08:09 #180038 by phillc54

Thats an assumption and does not happen in the real world. Certainly not on my table.

On 2 mm plate, the material can bend down and also float travel can cope with a few mm.

My torch breaks away with 1.6mm sheet which is the thinnest I cut.

Maybe need a change in your breakaway design or add some stall detection.

More
30 Aug 2020 08:25 #180041 by rodw
what happens if you probe on an edge that is hanging over a slat? Does it still break away?
You can't use stall detection with a stepper motor on the Z axis which is the general use case.

In any case break away when stationary with forces only in the x axis direction is not an expected use case for a breakaway.

More
30 Aug 2020 08:37 #180043 by phillc54

what happens if you probe on an edge that is hanging over a slat? Does it still break away?
You can't use stall detection with a stepper motor on the Z axis which is the general use case.

In any case break away when stationary with forces only in the x axis direction is not an expected use case for a breakaway.

Well if your breakaway doesn't cater for this and this "issue" concerns you then to will need to find you own solution.
Maybe you could start another thread.

More
30 Aug 2020 15:42 #180084 by PurduePete
Rodw, I have cut as thin as .8mm and my floating head still has functioned. It was not pleasant as there was some spring to the sheet, but got the job cut. The torch mounts that have 3 prox sensors work alright but I will say floating head is a strong point of them. Swapping out the springs makes them just about hte best middle ground I've found. Just don't do what I did and order the right sensors, NC sensors. Then all 3 switches can be wired to floating head and it will work as collision as well.

Phillc54, thank you for working on this. I will try to install a little later today and will let you know if it works. I have some jobs to cut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds