THCAD-10, 5, or 300 for Hypertherm Powermax45 XP

More
10 Sep 2020 06:44 #181560 by love0ff
Hi
I have hypertherm powermax 45xp (Which is already has a CPC port and voltag divider ) my question, Which one would be a good choice for me THCAD-10, 5, or 300.
Thank all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2020 08:01 #181575 by tommylight
What is the divider ratio ?

More
10 Sep 2020 11:16 - 10 Sep 2020 11:19 #181612 by snowgoer540

Hi
I have hypertherm powermax 45xp (Which is already has a CPC port and voltag divider ) my question, Which one would be a good choice for me THCAD-10, 5, or 300.
Thank all

You may see differing opinions on this. I'll lay out 3 options below, and explain the guidance that was given to me by Peter (PCW on here (guy who created the Mesa hardware)) when I asked this same question awhile ago. Also, it's important to remember in this discussion that a THCAD 5 and 10 can withstand a 500v input overload indefinitely, and the THCAD 300 can withstand 2500v.

The default divider setting of a Powermax is 50:1. You would have to take the unit apart to change to anything else (covered in the manual). Keep in mind you may have to take it apart anyways if the wiring for the plug doesn't match what you have and you don't want a bulky cord.

For discussion purposes and to help you make an informed decision, I looked at the cut charts, and the highest voltage I see is 148v (lets call it 150v). Just to give you a buffer, you could say that the max you'd ever need to read for reliable cutting at the torch is 200v.

Options:

1. Use the default voltage divider of 50:1 and use the THCAD-5. A THCAD 5 is capable of reading a 0-5v (of divided voltage in this case) input reliably and accurately. Multiplying that by the divider ratio would equate to 0-250v from the torch. That means that you would be using 80% of the cards available fidelity to read your voltage with the buffer, and 60% at max cut-chart voltages.

2. Change the divider to 20:1 and use a THCAD 10. A THCAD 10 is capable of reading a 0-10v (of divided voltage in this case) input reliably and accurately. Multiplying that by the divider ratio would equate to 0-200v from the torch. That means that you would be using 100% of the cards available fidelity to read your voltage with the buffer, and 75% at max cut-chart voltages.

3. Grab the Raw (1:1, no divider ratio) Arc Voltage (I think the Hypertherm manual may explain how to do this if you are so inclined, but keep in mind this can be a dangerous amount of electricity to pass in a wire between the power source, and the cabinet. A THCAD 300 is capable of reading a 0-300v input reliably and accurately. That would equate to 0-300v from the torch. That means that you would be using 66.6% of the cards available fidelity to read your voltage with the buffer, and 50% at max cut-chart voltages.

I chose option 2, because it used the widest range of the card's ability to read voltage, gives the greatest resolution, and was what Peter recommended to me when I asked here .

I would probably arrange things so you get about 200V full scale
So your 20-1 divider and a THCAD10 make sense
or a 50-1 divider and a THCAD5

Plus, the THCAD-10's are in stock :) Keep in mind, you can make change the THCAD type (10 to 5, for example) by changing the resistors you see on the board, as Peter explained here

Yes you can make any input range you like by changing the through hole resistors.

All 300K = 300V full scale
all 4.99K = 5V full scale
all 10K = 10V full scale

These should be 1% or better resistors

Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 11:19 by snowgoer540.

More
10 Sep 2020 12:15 - 10 Sep 2020 12:22 #181618 by AgentWD40
I also chose option 2 for the reasons snowgoer explained.

I also have the powermax 45xp. It wasn't clearly documented anywhere so I'll share that in order to get to the voltage divider all I had to do was remove the two screws holding the carry handle in place, then gently push/tilt the top of the front and back panels apart from each other, then the case will slide off the top. Refer to the manual for the dip switch settings for the divider you want, I think 20:1 was all the switches to 0.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 12:22 by AgentWD40.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
18 Jul 2022 05:50 #247639 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com
Hello. I am a total newbie to plasma, but a long time 3D print farm guy, who has also built 2 iterations of hobby CNC routers (MPCNC LowRider v2, and LowRider v3). I am pretty serious about building a CNC plasma table and just ordered 7I96S and THCAD2 — based primarily on reading the super helpful info on this thread, and reading the item descriptions on the MESA Electronics web store. I hope I ordered the right things. All advice welcome.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds