float switch

More
10 Nov 2020 19:30 #188903 by Hippy
float switch was created by Hippy
Getting my machine and linuxcnc ready for plasmac, I have a micro switch on my Z for a float switch, when i am in pnc configuring switches which option do i pick for the float switch? There is a long list of options and the only ones i am familiar with is home and limit switches.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2020 19:41 - 10 Nov 2020 19:42 #188904 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic float switch
Please take the time to read the PlasmaC user guide (linked in this forum subgroup and findable via a google search). It answers this question, and many you have yet to know you have yet :)

A lot of time went into making the user guide easy to follow and understand.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2020 19:42 by snowgoer540.

More
10 Nov 2020 19:46 #188906 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic float switch
You need to go back and read the plasmac manual.
pncconf knows nothing about i/o for plasma tables.
Just get a working config with x,y,z movement.
Then run the plasmac configurator.

More
10 Nov 2020 21:33 #188922 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic float switch
I have read it multiple times, just misunderstood as it said to have ALL your switches working before running the plasmac configurator. Thanks for clearing this up

More
10 Nov 2020 22:05 #188928 by snowgoer540

I have read it multiple times, just misunderstood as it said to have ALL your switches working before running the plasmac configurator. Thanks for clearing this up

I suppose I can see how potentially a breakaway or a float switch could be perceived as a limit switch.

I appreciate the feedback, I will amend in a future revision to make it even more clear. The intent is for users to not be confused :)

More
10 Nov 2020 22:14 #188932 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic float switch
You can set it as "probe input" in pncconf but you would need to edit the hal file manually later and omit it or delete it.
It is very true that you need all the switches already set up before running the configurator, but probe or float or ohmic is not required there.
When you do run the configurator you will need to enter the exact pin name, so you can open the existing hal file and copy ( not cut ) one of the inputs and paste it in the configurator but do edit the pin number.

More
14 Nov 2020 02:37 #189286 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic float switch
It's a good manual, think i just had a brain fart now that i think about it. Thanks for taking the time to write such an in-depth manual that makes sense to us non-techies.

More
14 Nov 2020 09:28 #189307 by Mud
Replied by Mud on topic float switch
I made the same mistake (albeit using the 7i96 tool) - easily corrected though. It was the line about all switches working in the base config that threw me.

More
14 Nov 2020 15:47 #189339 by snowgoer540
No worries, the feedback is appreciated. I already started the updates to the beginning of the manual and adjusted some of the flow (putting plasma IO requirements after the base config stuffs for example) touched up some of the verbiage and examples, etc.

Glad you got it going!

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds