Rotary cutting square tube with PlasmaC?

More
11 Jan 2021 14:12 #194908 by andypugh
I have a feeling that a dedicated square-tube cutter could be completely passive, just a motorised chuck and a roller running on the tube to set the torch height.

Maybe only for straight cuts, though. But the fact that the chuck side of the tube is always supported simplifies things a lot.

And, anyway, where's the fun in that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2021 14:21 #194910 by tommylight

I have a feeling that a dedicated square-tube cutter could be completely passive, just a motorised chuck and a roller running on the tube to set the torch height.

Oh i did try that, and it did work quite OK for straight cuts.
I need them to cut up to 70 degree angles, and that might be good enough for this also, but then if i need to cut some shapes or slots ....

More
11 Jan 2021 21:24 #194960 by rodw
Tommy, sounds like you need my tangential update to Linuxcnc that Andy made me do that I never finished off.... it could rotate the roller to follow cut direction.

What about a ball bearing? You can get ones to slide material on...

More
12 Jan 2021 02:40 #195002 by tommylight

That was the general idea, if i could find them.

More
12 Jan 2021 12:55 #195042 by andypugh

That was the general idea, if i could find them.

uk.rs-online.com/web/c/engineering-mater...ball-transfer-units/

(It doesn't look like RS have a Kosovo version of the website)

More
12 Jan 2021 17:42 #195099 by tommylight
So much choice ... :)
The issue with Kosovo:
-for some reason we are in the same group as Nigeria regarding internet scams, how this happened i have no idea, but it is painful to order or pay anything online as automated payment systems block payments automatically, requiring several back and forth e-mails to clarify things. This happens even when i pay with cryptocurrencies - this was supposed to get rid of such issues....
-even when Kosovo is listed and we order something, some stuff goes through Serbia and some through Albania, and more often than not both of them work OK, rarely the package gets lost or delayed. When delayed, we e-mail the sellers to inform them we did not get the stuff yet, they check those complaints>check the country>decide not worth it due to low orders and ban us completely.
-most of the interned thinks we are in Africa, been asked that a lot.
-and then there is the customs. .... to much #@$!^@%#
For some of this i blame our politicians, for some other issues i blame my people as i know plenty that will order stuff the return or plain lie they did not get it as we do not have to sign anything when we receive the goods.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razplaz

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds