Height Override

More
29 Jan 2021 00:20 #197009 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Height Override

Also, another good feature would be clicking on the word override clears the override value as Phill did with the sliders....

It may send you into void lock depending on the direction and value.

Well after looking at PlasmaC's Axis & Gmoccapy screens they already offer that so I may as well add it to QtPlasmaC too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2021 00:44 #197016 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Height Override

Also, another good feature would be clicking on the word override clears the override value as Phill did with the sliders....

It may send you into void lock depending on the direction and value.

Well after looking at PlasmaC's Axis & Gmoccapy screens they already offer that so I may as well add it to QtPlasmaC too.

That is useful. :)
Had to click millions of times as it was such small increments.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
30 Jan 2021 09:51 - 30 Jan 2021 09:54 #197128 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Height Override
if the voltage display is in 1V increments, why would you ever have an over ride in 0.1v increments.... as you could not see them / their effect on applying an override or offset

is there a way to increase the voltage display to 1 decimal point, by adding a smaller display (1/2 size) to the right of the major (whole number ) display that shows just the modulo to 1 decimal place?
(learning to edit the screenset + dabbling).

this would (may) aide in showing the following error or hysteresis or accuracy of the z axis to follow the target voltage.
given the thcad has very high voltage accuracy, it is one way to show and benefit from it.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2021 09:54 by robertspark.

More
30 Jan 2021 10:04 #197129 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Height Override

if the voltage display is in 1V increments, why would you ever have an over ride in 0.1v increments

Probably a guess when it was first added but there weren't any complaints that I am aware of untill I asked the question here.

as you could not see them / their effect on applying an override or offset

You can see the displayed increment...

is there a way to increase the voltage display to 1 decimal point, by adding a smaller display (1/2 size) to the right of the major (whole number ) display that shows the modulo to 1 decimal place?

Originally PlasmaC was but folk weren't happy with the flickering between numbers and thought it unnecessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
30 Jan 2021 10:26 #197131 by robertspark
thanks, good to know

More
30 Jan 2021 10:48 - 30 Jan 2021 10:51 #197136 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Height Override
Robert, if you want to really look at the internals, you should have a play with Halscope. There is a plot in the primer that shows the error in blue (at a higher scale)
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...imer.html#_thc_delay

That plot predates Plasmac. I'm not sure if Plasmac publishes an error pin like what I used in that plot. Assuming you are using V 2.9,
It might be an interesting exercise for you to write a custom component in C that took the programmed or sampled arc voltage and compares the result with the current arc voltage and outputs the error as a pin.

than you just need to compile it with "halcompile --install arcerror.comp" and install it in you hal file as per normal

You can grab the source of any of the simple components from github here to act as a template. Thats how I got going
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/master/src/hal/components
Last edit: 30 Jan 2021 10:51 by rodw.

More
30 Jan 2021 11:03 #197138 by robertspark
thanks Rod, I appreciate that as I'm now trying to get my head fully into linuxcnc (not using anything windows for CNC at present)

thought I may as well take the plunge as I should have done years ago

More
30 Jan 2021 11:12 #197141 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Height Override

thanks Rod, I appreciate that as I'm now trying to get my head fully into linuxcnc (not using anything windows for CNC at present)

thought I may as well take the plunge as I should have done years ago

I seem to remember trying to encourage you to make a blind leap of faith a few years ago.....

The ability to write a custom component with a few lines of code and install it with a single command so that it is treated 100% as if its part of the core code is Linuxcnc's pot of gold. It just an extraordinary paradigm. Whilst initially passing all data to your component via a pin is a pain but it compartmentalises code in a very robust way.

Plasmac.comp lives in that folder too. It makes for an interesting read..

More
30 Jan 2021 13:59 #197159 by robertspark
I just got more frustrated when I wanted my lathe to run (this software doesn't do this or that and the other does not do X or y etc) and then I thought well I may as well get my head around linuxcnc

I got a copy of Pathpilot installed and toyed with it, but I also found Native am... now that is nice for simple wizards / parametric programming of simple lathe or milling tasks (simple things to just get stuff done, not pattern cutting, simple tasks).... thought I may as well look at plasmac
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds