Unhoming does not unhome all joints.

More
18 Dec 2021 03:38 - 18 Dec 2021 03:39 #229378 by rodw

I just noticed that my version of qtplasmac does not cleanly unhome joints and leaves joints for the second Y axis homed if you unhome the Y axisAxis gets it right so it must be a UI issue.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Dec 2021 03:39 by rodw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2021 06:11 #229382 by cmorley
Does this translate to an actual use issue ? I'm curious how linuxcnc handles it.
Also is your config a xyyz or a xyzy config?

More
18 Dec 2021 06:51 #229385 by rodw
It was in a XYYZ sim (default qtplasmac I think).
I noticed it while I was writing a component (and playing with the logic component) for somebody to get a pin that showed when all joints were homed and I could not work out why my code was failing...

More
18 Dec 2021 08:57 #229386 by cmorley
Yes I have become aware that XYYZ vrs XYZY configs are not handled perfectly.
Dealing with joints in trivial machine is certainly been painful - programming wise :)

By the way, GSTAT can send a signal for homed/not all homed with a list of joints.
It would be pretty easy to make a python component to set pins appropriately - not real time of course, but that's probably not a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
18 Dec 2021 10:54 #229391 by rodw
I think the issue is really the unhoming.
I've never really understood as a user that started about when the joint axes got to V 2.8 when it was master why some of these features exist.
You walk up to a machine turn it on and home it at the beginning of the day.
I have no idea why users want kinstype=both so they can see joints before they home the machine. I just want to use the machine and I need to home it first.

When I first started removing kinstype=both was mandatory to support joint axes. That made sense to me.

I have no comprehension why one would want to unhome a machine.
Rehome yes, its useful. Sometimes My Z axis may loose steps when a sensor does not fire so rehoming the Z is handy.

If unhoming was not supported the problem would go away. If you must support unhoming, surely its not too much to ask to check if there are multiple joints and unhome them all.

Its really not acceptable that a GUI does not respect documented and expected behaviour.
I find it disappointing that after about 5-7 years, we still have not fully embraced the joint axes paradigm.

Anyway, thats the end of my red wine induced rant!

More
19 Dec 2021 04:37 #229466 by cmorley
The fact that you just discovered that it didn't work as you thought, might help you understand why these things slip by.
Linuxcnc is complicated and you can skin a cat a million ways.
If someone doesn't exercise and notice the problem - I'll never know about it.
We fix the problems when we find and understand them.

And then there are corner cases. As soon as I make the action button unhome both joints, someone with a robot will ask why both joints unhome when he just wants one joint to unhome :)

anyways I will soon push a (hopeful) fix for this - thank you for the report.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, rodw

More
19 Dec 2021 05:11 #229468 by phillc54
I have noticed that if you use the home-all button to unhome then it does unhome all the joints correctly, if you use the home button for a joint then it only unhomes one joint.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
19 Dec 2021 08:51 #229474 by tommylight
I use unhome a lot on machines with no limit switches.
Also when cutting square tubing and forget to set the probe height causing the torch to ram at 6m/m on the material, i switch to joint mode and home only joint 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
19 Dec 2021 10:01 #229478 by rodw
Chris, you'll be pleased to know you are not alone. I caught a similar issue in a QTPYVCP confg today I was testing for someone.

Thanks for taking the issue on board.

And yes I fully understand that these things sneak through. The good thing is usually when I find a bug, people want to fix it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds