Error installing QTPlasmaC latest

More
09 Aug 2023 12:33 - 09 Aug 2023 12:46 #277428 by mariusl
Hi,I installed a new system from a 2.8 live CD ISO. I then changed the repository to buildbot.linuxcnc.org master-rtpreempt.I used PNCConf to create a new QTPlasmaC config. When I tried to load I got this error.
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5.QtWebKitWidgets'Report file attached

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2023 12:46 by mariusl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2023 12:50 #277431 by phillc54
I removed the requirement for qtwebkit today but it looks like the Buildbot hasn’t started that build yet. In the meantime you could try installing python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit.

More
09 Aug 2023 12:59 #277434 by mariusl
I installed last night so I will be out of sync. Thanks I will try the webkit or just wait a day.

On that note, will the Synaptic Package manager pick up the latest release from Master?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Aug 2023 13:01 #277435 by rodw

On that note, will the Synaptic Package manager pick up the latest release from Master?

Yes if your sources.list files include the Linuxcnc repository.

More
09 Aug 2023 13:06 #277437 by mariusl
Rod do you mean the deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org? I have that in the list but not the deb linuxcnc.org

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Aug 2023 23:11 #277482 by rodw
To work with master branch, I think you would be better off working with Bookworm and following this guide
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
Under heading #9 the line that starts with echo change to
sudo echo "deb http://buildbot2.highlab.com/debian/ bookworm master-uspace" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list

More
09 Aug 2023 23:21 #277485 by rodw
But if you must stick with buster which I have not used for a few years, you should be able to follow this
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

THere have been so many changes with the OS, Master is based around Bookworm, so you are likely to hit issues with it on Buster. Just my opinion.

More
10 Aug 2023 01:21 #277492 by snowgoer540

Master is based around Bookworm, so you are likely to hit issues with it on Buster.

With relation to QtPlasmaC, this is false. While Phill does his programming on MX Linux based on a newer distribution, I do all of mine on MX Linux 19 which is based on Buster. The live ISOs being distributed in the downloads section are still based on Buster. I know I am technically behind the ball, but I figure many people coming to this project still do so in the form of the live ISO because Linux isn't familiar to them, and this is my way of helping to make sure they have a good experience.

To my knowledge, despite your updates to the "Getting LinuxCNC" sections of the docs to point everyone to Bookworm, the project has not officially aligned to any particular distribution of Linux. Until we officially pick a Debian version to work to, I choose to do my programming/testing on Buster due to the Live ISO.

That's not to say that there are not APIs that are available in newer versions of pyqt that would eliminate some work-arounds, and make the code more tidy or that I don't want to update.

I do kind of wish we would align branches to Debian releases. I think it would help make things seem less disjointed.

In the meantime, it also gives me an excuse to not redo my development environment(s). :)

More
10 Aug 2023 02:54 #277498 by rodw

To my knowledge, despite your updates to the "Getting LinuxCNC" sections of the docs to point everyone to Bookworm, the project has not officially aligned to any particular distribution of Linux. Until we officially pick a Debian version to work to, I choose to do my programming/testing on Buster due to the Live ISO.

Yes its frustrating for sure. I was aked to update the getting linuxcnc docs for bookworm so I did with some input from others. I wrote it from the assumption it would be on Bookworm. To the best of my knowledge there are only 6 outstanding issues that are marked 2.9 must fix. There are no pending pull requests for 2.9 must fix. If past experience is a guide, one of the senior developers will have a dummy spit one weekend (hopefully soon) and the next thing you know, it will be deployed in a couple of days. I lost all interest in Buster during the transition from Python 2.7 to 3.x. That was just before Bullseye was released and here we are now with Bookworm released a couple of years afterwards.

It must be about 7 years since 2.8 was released by my memory. That means a couple of generations of hardware have been and gone. Its not really good enough to take that long between versions. How long since 2.9 was hived off pending a release? How many meetings around the world has there been since then where a release was discussed?

There are so many improvements to the Linux platform in general and Debian is now on the 6.1 kernel with full UEFI/Secure boot support (Buster is 4.19).There are many drivers in Bookworm that are not in Buster. I have one PC I started with on Mint 17.3 with a compiled RT kernel (which was the way before there was a stretch image) that has about 1/3 of the latency it had back then. This demonstrates the substantial performance  improvement made in the Linux kernel. 

So if you want to run on old hardware, Buster might be fine but to use the more modern USFF industrial PC's, its highly likely you will have issues that you won't resolve on a Operating system 2 versions behind the current state.

I've just recently reimaged my Windows Work Desktop with Debian 12.1 and sometimes I am gobsmacked by the speed improvement over Windows doing simple tasks. Some people insist on using Ubuntu, Mx Linux, Mint and others that are based on Debian. Often, these kernels drag behind and desired features are not present. But Debian has. eg Ubuntu just got the preempt_rt kernel and they have the afront to make it a paid add on. I never see posts on the RT users group from the Ubuntu team. but now closed source Red Hat often make contributions, even offering to help me personally with RT network performance.

Anyway rant over. The benefits of Bookworm and a modern kernel for me far outweigh attempting to find old hardware to run Buster. It has been that way for about 3 years for me.

More
10 Aug 2023 07:50 #277510 by mariusl
I seem to be doing a lot of upgrades from Mach3 to Linuxcnc lately and I have to use the most effective way to get the system installed. Using the live CD based on Buster is the best way for me. I have been using the master branch for some time now and this is the first issue that I encountered. As Phil said, the buildbot has not caught up yet.
Well it is the second day now and it still is not caught up yet.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds