QtPlasmaC custom button to load newest file

More
29 Sep 2023 16:13 #281863 by caretech
Greetings,

Some time ago user @rodw posted a solution for opening the newest file in the nc_files folder using a custom button in QtPlasmac. I have spent considerable time searching for this post and haven't been able to find it. Can somebody point me to this? Maybe it's not quite night time yet in @rodw's part of the world and he can provide a link. :)

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2023 16:23 #281864 by snowgoer540
It’s in this section (linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...:custom-user-buttons) but here is the excerpt:

Load Latest File
This allows the loading of the last modified file in a directory. The directory name is optional and if omitted will default to the last directory a file was loaded from.

n Code = latest-file /home/me/linuxcnc/nc_files/qtplasmac-test

The following user(s) said Thank You: caretech

More
29 Sep 2023 16:29 #281865 by caretech
Ah! For some reason I didn't think it was so easy. I thought there was custom python scripting and all. But this is fantastic! Tested already, and works great. Thank you, Greg.

More
29 Sep 2023 17:00 #281866 by snowgoer540
It may have been a script at one point but either way Phill made it easy peasy; happy to help!

More
29 Sep 2023 19:16 #281874 by rodw
Nah, it was never a script. I asked nicely if Phil could add the feature and he did!
After years of trying I was finally able to map  my linuxcnc home folder to a Windows drive.
(There is  a policy that must be changed on Windows no body ever tells you about)
That let me save gcode from Sheetcam on Windows from the comfort of an air conditioned office direct into the nc_files folder.
Then I would go out to the machine and hit the load latest button and I was ready to roll!
Its one of the cleverest, time saving features ever added. Sheds in Australia can be bloody hot places!
The following user(s) said Thank You: caretech

More
29 Sep 2023 19:42 - 29 Sep 2023 19:43 #281876 by caretech
I've configured Samba on the plasma computer to share the nc_files folder, and mapped the share to a network drive on the Windows office computer. So the end result is similar. Post from sheetcam to the Z: drive, then walk over to the plasma and click the "Load Latest" custom button. Sure beats carrying USB sticks around.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2023 19:43 by caretech.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds