Wiring laser cross head on 7i96s

More
08 Dec 2023 15:42 #287542 by aabtech
Hi, I have a laser cross head that I want to use for framing my material but I have been trying to wire it but I get confused do you need a relay or you need the onboard relay and how it is done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2023 16:40 #287549 by tommylight
You might want to check this, but i am pretty sure Mesa 7i96S has 2 outputs that can do 2A each, so no relay is needed as those lasers do not draw much current.
Probably even the normal outputs can handle it without issues if the laser is wired directly to the outputs, but if using a step down voltage regulator use the high current outputs as those regulators have capacitors that draw a bit more current when turned on.

More
08 Dec 2023 16:49 #287553 by rodw
Generally laser pointers require a 5 volt power supply. While the 7i96s does need a 5v power supply for its logic, its a long way to route such a low voltage. 
An alternative is to use a small 24v to 5v  Buck power supply fitted near the torch. This might be easier as you already might have 24V nearby. If you have a spare output, you can use it to switch the laser on and off. I would probably switch the 5v side as it can take some time for the capacitors on the power supply to discharge when turning off.

I used the buck power supply method. You can get thme off ebay etc for $2-$3, I did not have a spare output so placed a  switch near the torch.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds