Stoppage mid cut - no error messages

More
30 Dec 2023 07:40 #289361 by beefy
I started a cut and on the 3rd internal cut the torch simply stopped along the cut path and the torch raised up. No error message at all from Qtplasmac, no errors in the terminal (which I use to start Qtplasmac).

Is that normal, should there be some sort if indication of why a stoppage occurred.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2023 08:14 #289362 by phillc54
There should be some kind of message. If you haven’t shut down LinuxCNC check the log on the Statistics tab. If you have shut down then have a look in the log files in the config directory. 

More
30 Dec 2023 08:41 #289363 by beefy
It just said "Cycle Aborted" so no idea what's made that happen.

Got to figure out now how to restart from that point. Run From Line did not work as I expected LOL. There was no torch on in the generated code and the torch did not touch off either, it just started moving along the cut path while the Z was still at Safe-Z height. It also gave an error message saying no material 1000000 exists (using a temporary material file, where Sheetcam generates all the material parameters).

I'll have to bury my head in the manual again, I'm probably doing something wrong. Haven't used my table in a few months due to being overloaded at work, and I'm rather rusty.

More
30 Dec 2023 09:24 #289365 by phillc54
Hmmm, Cycle Aborted is normally the Stop button or the ESC key if enabled. 
Run From Line should add its own torch on. If you are happy to post the gcode file and the start line you tried I can take a look tomorrow. 
Did you try restarting LinuxCNC and then trying Run From Line?

More
30 Dec 2023 09:54 #289366 by beefy
You know what Phill, I wonder if my touch screen pendant was the cause (or should I say me accidentally touching the Stop button on my pendant). I have my finger hovering around the Pause and Stop buttons on my pendant so I wonder if I could have unknowingly brushed them, and with it being a touch screen...............

I've regenerated the gcode file to use a Qtplasmac material instead of a temporary material, otherwise the file is identical. I'll have another crack in the morning when I've stopped sulking and see if I can get the Run From Line to be nice to me. Things often work when you calm down LOL.

Cheers, Phill, I'll let you know how it goes.

More
30 Dec 2023 15:47 - 30 Dec 2023 23:29 #289387 by snowgoer540
I do find myself wondering what version you are on?  We did resolve some similar sounding issues that were present in previous versions.  Of course that doesn't mean we squished all the bugs :)
Last edit: 30 Dec 2023 23:29 by snowgoer540.

More
30 Dec 2023 23:20 #289395 by beefy
I'm wondering if you are right about needing an update. It has been quite a few months since the last update I did.

UPDATE - ha ha you are dead right. Just opened a new tab and did a "Run From Line" search and found the thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/50385-run-from-line-bug#284231

It's exactly the problem I'm having so I'll go and sort out the updating first.

On a sitenote where is the file "rfl.ngc" located, when it's generated by the Run From Line feature ??

I'll report back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
30 Dec 2023 23:32 #289397 by snowgoer540
Sounds like it will be an easy fix; glad to hear it!

On a sitenote where is the file "rfl.ngc" located, when it's generated by the Run From Line feature ??

It's saved to a temporary location. Specifically:
/tmp/qtplasmac/

You can save it if you'd like by opening the editor and then saving it. I sometimes use the RFL feature when I am feeling lazy and making 2 color signs. First I run the cut file, and then I scroll down to the last cut (the outline of the sign) and use that to cut the backing plate.

More
30 Dec 2023 23:33 - 30 Dec 2023 23:34 #289398 by phillc54
/tmp/qtplasmac/rfl.ngc

Edit: it seems I was a tad slow...
Last edit: 30 Dec 2023 23:34 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
30 Dec 2023 23:34 #289399 by snowgoer540
I don't want to edit my last post because the editor here is a PITA, but I should note that the editor will not allow you to save a file as "rfl.ngc" or "rfl".

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds