Plasma and Oxyfuel

More
26 Feb 2024 17:22 - 26 Feb 2024 17:25 #294536 by grijalvap
Plasma and Oxyfuel was created by grijalvap
Hi.
I have a project for a big cnc 20' by 40' plasma retrofit, it uses Hyperterm 260 and oxyfuel, i want to use QTPlasmaC, dos anybody have similar experience, of course there is not problem at all with plasma, but not idea where to start with oxyfuel, i know we can have multiple "spindles" but how about HTC, etc.

thanks for you help.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2024 17:25 by grijalvap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2024 23:54 #294556 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Plasma and Oxyfuel
HTC? The first company to manufacture handheld computers?
No, Apple is not the first.
-
Oxy is easy, does not need probing, does need preheat timer up to half hour sometimes depending on material thicknes, torch on can be used to turn on "cutting oxygen" (oxy torch has 3 valves/regulators, acetylene, preheat oxy low pressure, cut oxy high pressure), no need for height control to a certain extent, example i used torches that can do 7cm thick cut so cutting 3cm material you still have 4cm of torch height distance to play with.
Found this, most of the internet knows only about 2 walve/hose torches for hand cutting, this knows also about 3 hose ones:
www.keengas.com/technical-tips-files/index_29_760312311.PDF

More
27 Feb 2024 22:28 #294649 by grijalvap
Replied by grijalvap on topic Plasma and Oxyfuel
There is any way, we can have manual control of the z axis while moving?

More
28 Feb 2024 03:00 #294656 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Plasma and Oxyfuel
Yes, easiest using external offsets and 2 physical buttons, or two VCP buttons or if you want to use QtPlasmaC 2 of the many unused buttons on the main screen.
Does the machine have separate Z axis for oxy?
I have done 3 machines with oxy, one has a single Z and the torch is manually changed, other 2 have double Z axis. The single one was in use daily for several years with oxy mostly, now only plasma, the 2 double headed are rarely used with oxy but daily with plasma.

More
28 Feb 2024 12:44 #294692 by RDA
Replied by RDA on topic Plasma and Oxyfuel
Like Tommy said, oxyfuel cutting can be a very simple 3 valves and manual up/down. But there are many different ways to cut with oxy or many ways how to build the oxy cutting machine.

With HTC I assume you mean a capacitive height sensor? My suggestion for the most "bang for the buck" is to go example with HYD HCH-400, its simple to use and does its job quite well, not too expensive either. The height sensors job is not only to track the plate but its to move away from the piercing slag and then automatically come down to proper cut height.

I would say the next step from the simple and cheap 3 valve system is a 6 valve one, you add:
- an additional high preheat valve for faster heating (requires a regulator).
- a low pressure pierce valve to make a simple pressure ramp (requires a regulator).
- a venting valve to vent out the gas at the end of the cut to avoid burning the top of the material at the end of the cut. This should not extinguish the flame, just vents out the cutting oxygen.

Next on the line is adding an automatic igniter (ignite only in the beginning of the cutting program not at each pierce), pretty simple stuff.

Then you might want to add additional stages to the piercing oxy pressure if you need to pierce really thick stuff. Ideally this would be done with proportional valves, the old way of doing multistage piercing was with solenoid carousels.

Then last and best (if you want good, reliable piercing of over 4"/100mm material) is to have proportional valves, internal ignition and height control.

At the end it really depends if you cut once in a while and keep cutting lets say under 1"/25mm, or you push daily production of really thick materials. It also depens if you really need to pierce or is edge start a possibility on thicker materials. The thicker you go, the more difficult it is to pierce without clogging the nozzle. I would also add moving pierce when going over 2"/50mm.

The machine can also be any mix of the above, it all depends on the use case.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds