Always Active THC for Fiber Laser

More
30 Apr 2024 18:45 #299414 by Uthayne
I have a need for the THC to be always active, regardless of torch_on state or current velocity since the fiber laser senses capacitance at the nozzle which doesn't care if the "torch" is on or off. This is also a convenient way to tune the THC and Z-axis parameters during a dry run. Maintaining a closely controlled cut height is crucial to high cut quality.

For my testing purposes, I modified plasmac.comp as follows:

IS:
if(!mesh_enable && !ignore_arc_ok_0 && !ignore_arc_ok_1){ //THC active during dry run *LASER*
WAS:
if(torch_on && !mesh_enable && !ignore_arc_ok_0 && !ignore_arc_ok_1){

also,
IS:
if(current_velocity * 60 > 0){ //always enable THC *LASER*
WAS:
if(current_velocity * 60 > requested_feed_rate * 0.999){

I realize that as written this breaks functionality for plasmas, so something more elegant will have to be created that includes a LASER_MODE bool or something similar as we start to grow the fiber laser features of Plasmac.

Phill/Snowy, if there's an easier way to do this outside of the plasmac.comp, I'd be interested in knowing

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2024 00:26 #299433 by phillc54

I realize that as written this breaks functionality for plasmas, so something more elegant will have to be created that includes a LASER_MODE bool or something similar as we start to grow the fiber laser features of Plasmac.

Phill/Snowy, if there's an easier way to do this outside of the plasmac.comp, I'd be interested in knowing

I think that the LASER_MODE bool would be the best way to go.

More
03 May 2024 01:22 #299602 by Uthayne
This is what I have changed it to:

For input pins,
pin in  bit     laser_mode                  "laser mode for fiber lasers";
/* while cutting and it is not a dry run or laser mode is enabled and mesh mode is not enabled:
                 * if thc is enabled then vary the torch height to keep the arc voltage constant
                 * if corner lock enabled, only allow THC if current velocity is greater than the threshold percentage of requested velocity
                 * if voidlock is enabled, only allow THC if the voltage change is less than the threshold voltage
                 * adjust torch height and target voltage to suit if height override requested */
                if((torch_on || laser_mode) && !mesh_enable && !ignore_arc_ok_0 && !ignore_arc_ok_1){ 
                    if(target_volts == 0){
                        cornerlock_is_locked = TRUE;
                        /* wait until velocity reaches 99.9% of requested velocity or if laser mode is enabled*/
                        if((current_velocity * 60 > requested_feed_rate * 0.999) || laser_mode){
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
03 May 2024 01:35 #299603 by phillc54
Would you like to create a pull request for this?

More
03 May 2024 01:36 #299604 by Uthayne
Yes I will be submitting one. Just testing a few things out and making sure everything is good to go
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
03 May 2024 04:11 #299606 by phillc54
Great, could you please also bump the version numbers in both:
src/hal/components/plasmac.comp
share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py

and also add an update to:
share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/versions.html

More
03 May 2024 19:40 #299667 by Uthayne
Pull request has been submitted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds