Implementation for specific setup clarification

More
06 Mar 2020 19:53 #159350 by woodworkerjb
I have been playing with qtpyvcp, I have gone through the tutorials and have looked at the details in the "probe_basic" examples. I am new to linuxcnc, qtpyvcp as well as python so I am easily found off in the weeds mumbling to myself .

I am having a hard time grasping the concept on how to implement the created qtpyvcp vcp with my linuxcnc setup. I am able to get my created vcp to load as the display, but I am not clear on how to link the pins and or signals, or status between the two.

Please correct me if I am wrong. My current thought is, I need to gather each action-button, hal-widget, status-widget, object name and put them into a postgui hal file? I assume then use the "net" command to link them to the equivalent, in my case mesa 7i77, pin number? Am I on the right track or is there a better way to accomplish this via other means that I am not aware of?

Thanks

JB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2020 15:49 #159417 by KCJ
Hello JB,

All that should be needed to switch from Axis or one of the other traditional GUIs is to change the [DISPLAY] DISPLAY option in the INI to the name of your VCP. This should get you a fully usable interface, with the exception of any HAL widgets being connected. Unlike PyVCP, QtPyVCP based VCPs only require the use of HAL widgets when it is desired to directly interact with HAL, which is rare on most machines. For example, the only HAL widget that exists in Probe Basic is the spindle load meter.

If your machine has an ATC or VFD spindle control and you want the ATC simulation to work or display real time spindle load, then you will have to connect the appropriate HAL pins to provide that information to the VCP. But other than that, changing the DISPLAY option in your INI should be all that is required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
07 Mar 2020 17:13 #159424 by woodworkerjb
Thank you for the reply. I should have made clear that I am working on a new vcp starting from scratch. Does your reply still hold true given the clarification?

More
07 Mar 2020 17:44 #159427 by KCJ
Yes, it does, assuming you are using actions and rules to add functionality to your VCP.

What action a widget does when you interact with it is defined using actions: www.qtpyvcp.com/actions/

How a widget responds when something happens (axis moves, machine e-stoped etc.), is defined using widget rules: www.qtpyvcp.com/tutorials/widget_rules.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodworkerjb, BeagleBrainz

More
10 Mar 2020 23:53 #159717 by BigJohnT
In addition to the tutorials you might want to look at my Mill Touch V6 for examples as well as the actions example.

github.com/jethornton/mill_touch_v6
github.com/kcjengr/qtpyvcp/tree/master/examples/actions

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ, woodworkerjb

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds