> probe_basic
         > probe_basic
            <OK>

It terminated with the attached error message:

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.r...31-2.txt
File Size:7 KB

I think the pertinent portion of the error message is as follows:

ERROR: In /work/standalone-x64-build/VTK-source/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 797
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x562ee11d8820): GL version 2.1 with the gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

Which implies to me that it's time to buy a graphics card. Please advise.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jul 2021 22:06 by TannerFrisby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2021 22:06 #216514 by Lcvette
How did you install probe basic and what version of linuxcnc are you running?

More
31 Jul 2021 22:09 - 31 Jul 2021 22:11 #216515 by TannerFrisby
I installed probe basic using the following starting at step 3: kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html
As the basic installation didn't work for me, I followed onto the development install on the next page.

I'm not sure I know which version of linuxCNC I am running. Can you tell me how I can look that up?

Edit: I grabbed the following from the debug report:LINUXCNC - 2.8.2-20-gacab27a90

Is this the information you were asking for?
Last edit: 31 Jul 2021 22:11 by TannerFrisby.

More
31 Jul 2021 22:11 - 31 Jul 2021 22:14 #216516 by Lcvette
The first clue things are wrong is that the quick start installer failed, I'm thinking you will best be served by using the quick start and installer version instructions and installing a new instance of linuxcnc that is known good for qtpyvcp

Last edit: 31 Jul 2021 22:14 by Lcvette.

More
More
31 Jul 2021 22:18 #216518 by TannerFrisby
Maybe I was imprecise. I made it all the way through the graphical install using the quick start installer. After clicking finish and modifying my .ini to DISPLAY = probe_basic, I received the error i was trying to reference. I think the quick start installer worked correctly. (Back on the old monitor) The probe basic gui would flicker on for a half second before i received the attached error messages. I got a glimpse of what's to come, but never got "in".

Do you still think I need to reburn a copy of linuxCNC and clean start? I'd really like to avoid this if at all possible.

More
01 Aug 2021 19:04 #216644 by Lcvette
Qtpyvcp requires preempt rt kernel to run, im not sure if that's what you have since you stated you did not install from first step. If you're on wheezy or another rtai kernrl it won't work. But my best guess of you are on the correct linux instance is your hardware is too old.

Before i went and bought a graphics card i would try running a latency test to make sure the box you have is worth putting money into. If Kayenta is bad i would grab a HP 8300 Elite usdt with core i5, they are proven to have great latency numbers and run linuxcnc/qtpyvcp perfectly fine.

More
01 Aug 2021 20:31 #216646 by TannerFrisby
I am on a real-time kernel, I think it is "preempt stretch"? If I remember correctly (and I very well might not be), it was a requirement for LinuxCNC 2.8 which was a requirement for having two coordinated joints on my ZZ gantry system. 

I just ran a latency test while watching a youtube video on wifi. I had a servo latency ~35,000 and a base thread latency of ~51,000, across 10min (also ran glxgears).

I'm fairly inexperienced with diagnostics, but my gut is telling me it's an OpenGL issue. Yesterday I ordered a graphics card that I believe is capable of "OpenGL: 4.6" based on the following: www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/dell-r5-240-oem-1-gb.b5452. It should arrive and be installed before the end of the night. I'm hoping this may lower my latency numbers as well. From what I've read, 30,000-50,000 nS latency is serviceable for software stepping, but I've opted for a mesa 7i76e to handle step generation. I think my latency should be acceptable, but I'll yield to your experience. 

Thank you again for the continued assistance. It is greatly appreciated. 

More
02 Aug 2021 01:19 #216661 by TannerFrisby
The graphics card was the last issue that needed correction. I have launched my configuration with the probe basic display. Now I need to learn the new system. 

I've changed the thread title and original post to hopefully better serve the next poor fellow who has similar issues. I consider the titular issue of this thread resolved. 

I'd like to thank all who took the time to read this thread and especially those who offered advice. There aren't too many communities on the internet (or anywhere) that help strangers promptly and expect nothing in return. I am truly grateful. 

More
02 Aug 2021 01:42 #216662 by Lcvette
That's great news! Congrats on getting it up and running!

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds