(SOLVED) Probe Basic - spindle not working after upgrade

More
11 Nov 2021 02:27 #226055 by spumco
Thanks to much help here I recently upgraded to python3, qtpyvcp for py3, and PB master along with adding an angular axis jog slider in QT designer - the A-axis works fine.

But I got back to setting everything up and discovered that my spindle is no longer working.

Was working before the upgrade to PB & qtpyvcp master and I didn't (intentionally) change anything in INI or HAL spindle-related.

I can press the FWD screen button in PB and it responds, as do all the other screen buttons.  Same-same with and MDI spindle command.

But nothing happens.  Spindle doesn't turn on, and looking at halshow there's nothing happening - no spindle, PID, or encoder-related pins/signals change other than halui.spindle.0.is-on and halui.spindle.0.runs-forward (both turn on).

Was something changed behind the scenes in PB recently having to do with the spindle?

I'm still new at this and obviously could have overlooked something.  Would someone mind having a look at my HAL and INI files and see if there's something wrong regarding the spindle pins/settings?
Thx,
Ralph
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2021 05:10 #226064 by Joco
A quick check to see if it is UI v's HAL based would be to spin up axis using the same hal config and see if that will run the spindle or not.  Probably simpler than trying to hack into the hal file and use halshow to drive things via setp or sets

More
11 Nov 2021 05:15 #226065 by rodw
Do you have pins for  spindle.0?
eg spindle.0.on should be the pin to enable the pin
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
11 Nov 2021 12:42 #226097 by spumco
[MX21, LCNC 2.9 RIP, qtpyvcp master, PB master]

Thanks gents, and good tip on using Axis as a diagnostic tool.

No spindle response when axis is loaded instead of PB, so it's not something specific to PB right?

More
11 Nov 2021 17:35 #226121 by Joco
Correct - that would be my inference.

i am going to ask the super obvious question, you have not touched any of the physical wiring from spindle controller to mesa card?

Also do you have a copy of your pre upgrade config folder? If so using a diff tool like meld to compare hal files might show something. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
12 Nov 2021 02:57 #226175 by spumco
Nothing is ever too obvious, but I haven't touched any wiring.  And the spindle runs when commanded directly from the VFD software.

I have multiple copies/versions of pre-upgrade config folder.  I've tried a few but no joy so far.  I've also opened multiple versions of HAL in VS Code to compare versions side by side.

I have a few more variations to try before I have a melt-down... specifically, I have a pneumatic PDB with a spindle safety logic in HAL.  That might be the culprit, or the air pressure switch... but I didn't think I touched either of those sections in HAL.

What I think I'm going to have to do is set up an enormous halshow display with all the spindle-related pins & signals to find out where the disconnect is.  Not looking forward to that, but I can't think of a better way to hand-over-hand the diagnostics.

If i get utterly stumped or find something buggy/confusing I'll report back.

More
18 Nov 2021 00:09 #226814 by andypugh

More
18 Nov 2021 01:27 #226817 by spumco
Not yet, Andy, but thanks for checking in.

I fiddled with a couple of spindle-related things, but I got sidetracked finishing the mill enclosure and flood coolant system.  The punch list is endless.

Should be able to sit down in the next day or two and do some serious diagnostics... didn't want anyone wasting their time thinking about this until I actually run in to a wall.

-Ralph

More
31 Dec 2021 17:49 #230403 by spumco
Finally got to this one...

PDB cylinder position sensor had moved slightly.  This coupled with a .hal spindle inhibit function caused the no-joy situation.

Duh.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds