3D probe + electric tool setter together in PB

More
14 May 2023 06:12 #271331 by merongi
I have Normally Open 3D probe and Normally Open electric tool setter linked below and I connected them in a way that both changes PROBE_IN value from HIGH to LOW when they're triggered and I used inversion in HAL to make them work with probe routine.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJ2245HB?psc=1&ref=p...dt_b_product_details
www.amazon.com/dp/B08LK93NTC?psc=1&ref=p...dt_b_product_details

I can use probe routine to detect corner edge or tool setter routine but I'm not sure how would PB figures out stock zero with these two sensors.

Based on my reading of the forum, PB is designed that tool touch off is measured from reference of spindle nose which doesn't change (except you change spindle position in Z clamp.). So you put Z position of the trip point of tool setter on Spindle Zero and PB figures out tool length from the spindle reference.

But how does PB know 3D probe length? Since both tool setter probe and 3D probe have trigger point after some pressure, if I put 3D probe and use tool setter routine, I think 3D probe will trigger before tool setter, where if I use cutter, tool setter will trigger and there will be difference between those two trip points. I wonder what's the procedure to follow for this.

Thanks for the all helps!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2023 16:20 #271349 by Lcvette
the way i prefer to do this is to use the tool setter to measure a face mill or other similar facing tool, with that tool now loaded and the tool offset active, face a piece of stock with the tool and without moving in z axis from the faced surface height, set the work offset for z to zero. now unload the facing tool and load the touch probe tool with a 0.000 tool offset length. use the probe position function in the probe screen and probe the faced surface. the probed z height will be the distance the spindle nose was away from the part when the touch probe triggered. enter that number in the touch probe's tool length offset, save the table and reload the table. now reload the touch probe in the spindle and probe the surface again with probe position mode active. the probed position should be 0.0000 since the probes offset is applied.
The following user(s) said Thank You: merongi, Unlogic

More
16 Dec 2023 04:21 #288288 by merongi
I'm having trouble for doing this.
First, my Z-axis home switch is at the highest point, so all my Z axis offset is negative number.
Here is my procedure.
1. Load 1/2" bit and roughly set all-zero in G54.
2. Use tool setter touch off. Now tool length is updated for 1/2" bit.
3. Run facing by removing 1mm material
4. Once done, go to zero and lower Z by 1mm (z=-1.0 in G54), set Z zero.
5. Load 3-D probe tool, set Z offset 0, Save tool table, Reload tool table.
6. Start surface probe from z=0 in G54.
7. Z-PROBED value from PROBE RESULT is the 'difference' between 1/2" bit and 3-D probe.
8. Update length of 3-D probe. Save & Reload.
9. Now 3-D probe triggers when I jog to Z=0 in G54.
10. Load other tool, say 1/8" bit
11. Run "Touch off current tool"
12. Now when I jog Go To Zero, Z is supposed to be 0 in G54. It's not and by large amount.
What have I done wrong?

Also, I noticed that the shorter the tool, the bigger in tool length (Z offset) after touch off current tool. I thought tool length is measured from the nose of spindle, so the number should be smaller, isn't it?
Another thing I noticed is that tool length is actually the Machine Z offset when tool setter triggers without sign. This explains why shorter tool has bigger tool length measured after running Touch off current tool button.

I'm very confused. Anyone can help me to understand this?

More
16 Dec 2023 04:26 - 16 Dec 2023 04:39 #288290 by Lcvette
Spindle zero = z home zero spindle nose to tool setter trigger distance as an absolute value.

Watch this video I take you though it step by step.

Last edit: 16 Dec 2023 04:39 by Lcvette.
The following user(s) said Thank You: merongi

More
16 Dec 2023 05:16 #288295 by merongi
After watching your video, I found that I didn't set SPINDLE ZERO offset.
Now longer tool has longer tool length reported.
I haven't done the whole process but I think it will work.
Thank you very much!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
16 Dec 2023 05:51 #288297 by Lcvette
glad I could help! :D happy probing!

More
16 Dec 2023 06:38 #288300 by merongi
Yup! Now whole process works and I'm dialing in <0.1mm errors.
Thanks again!

More
23 Jan 2024 13:42 #291422 by echristley
My installation of Qt_dragon looks almost, but not quite like what you have.
I've been experimenting with the probe for a few weeks, and just got the toolsetter working this weekend. This is on a Bridgeport knee mill, so the table can move independent of the spindle.

So far, I've been able to measure the spindle nose to have an offset of -3.4552 from the Z's machine zero. I keep getting turned around when trying to convey that measurement into a useful offset for the probe and other tools.

More
29 Jan 2024 16:20 #291901 by Lcvette
if using probe basic the spindle zero is always entered as an absolute number so remove the minus sign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: echristley

More
01 Feb 2024 00:07 #292113 by echristley
I switched over to VersaProbe, as the marketing material made it seem that toolsetting would be easier.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds