Why so difficult?

More
11 Sep 2023 03:04 #280445 by gsamico
Why so difficult? was created by gsamico
I'm new in Linux and Linuxcnc. I've successfuly installed the stable version but the GUI is very bad (just looks like early 90's windows 3.1 sw).

​​​​​​Then I saw a video in YouTube with the Probe GUI and man .. that was amazing (still not the best gui, but a fantastic improvement over the standard one)

It was amazing until I tried to install it... and man...why everything is so difficult on Linux? Why do Probe installation doesn't make sense at all? The current stable version of Linuxcnc is 2.8 (but probe is for 2.9). the current iso for Linux cnc comes with debian 10 (but Probe is for debian 12). Why is that? why we don't have a binary to be used/installed to the standard iso distributed by linuxcnc? Or even something like: open Linuxcnc, go to theme menu, select probe and install

Really I tried for 4 hours to make this installation happens and it was so frustrating (I needed to reinstall Linuxcnc 3 times in my machine). That's just not a good way to treat your users.

Sorry for bringing my pain here in the forum, but I was so frustrated that I needed to share this with you.

I don't know if you have a better way to do it. Could you point me to some link with instructions to install it from the standard ISO? (Step by step - for a dummy user)?

Kind regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2023 04:42 #280449 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic Why so difficult?
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/48373-user-in...-for-machine-control

Installation instruction are in the sticky first post, follow the link and use the apt install version instructions. Its about as easy as it gets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Sep 2023 13:04 #280476 by gsamico
Replied by gsamico on topic Why so difficult?
But this is the Debian12/linuxcnc2.9 installation. Are there any tutorial on how to install it on the standard iso (Debian 10/linuxcnc 2.8)?

More
11 Sep 2023 13:19 #280477 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic Why so difficult?
I'd jump to Debian 12 and 2.9.
It's what a lot are using and most "new fangled" things will be with that in mind.

More
11 Sep 2023 14:31 #280480 by gsamico
Replied by gsamico on topic Why so difficult?
I did installed Debian 12 from scratch. But it seems it doesnt have a RT Kernel. My Probe GUI is working, but my MAX Jitter is more than 1000x higher usually it was 9000 ns - now it's 12,000,000 ns [12 milion ns] ( Is this acceptable?)

If not acceptable, how should I perform probe instalation on the original ISO provided by linuxcnc? (With Debian10 + 2.8 linuxcnc)

Kind regards.

More
11 Sep 2023 15:01 #280481 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Why so difficult?

Disregard this as it is for RaspberryPi
sudo apt install linux-image-rt-arm64 linux-headers-rt-arm64
Attachments:

More
11 Sep 2023 20:24 - 11 Sep 2023 20:32 #280493 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic Why so difficult?
I thought the rt kernel was a dependency, did you reboot after installation?

I’ve been so busy working on the RPi images my brain is mush.

Actually I like Axis, it’s nice simple does what it’s supposed to do, and in reality when I’m using a machine I don’t spend much time looking at the screen. I’m more concerned what the machine itself is doing.

Looks like Win 3.1 ? Nah more like an early X app before Linux got fancy window managers. When a 486 with 32mb was fancy for home use.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2023 20:32 by cornholio.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Sep 2023 20:52 #280496 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Why so difficult?

Actually I like Axis, it’s nice simple does what it’s supposed to do,

Exactly ! :)
And does not complain about missing QT stuff consistently!

More
11 Sep 2023 22:45 #280506 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Why so difficult?

I thought the rt kernel was a dependency, did you reboot after installation?

Yes, it is on AMD64 but for some reason on the Pi you need to install the RT kernel manually. Otherwise the install process is the same on x86 and the pi.

There is an Installer for Debian 12 (still a work in progress) here
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...or-linuxcnc-x86-only
This includes all of the repositories for QTPYVCP and Ethercat already set up so its easy to install them if you want to go that way.
Once I finish with the pi imager (which is as good as done), I will go back and tidy it up.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds