QtDragon unrecoverable if axis limit hit during auto mode.

More
26 Feb 2021 17:04 #200205 by turbostew
Hey All,

So I have QtDragon up and running on my router. Running pretty well but have an aggravating issue. If I am running some gcode and hit a limit switch, qtdragon is stuck in auto mode, nothing works, no buttons work except stop and on buttons, but they don't help. The auto mode button boarder is highlighted but the "led" on the button is not. I tried everything. Only resolution is to shutdown and restart linuxcnc. Seems like we need to be able to go to Man mode in the the event of a limit hit in auto mode....

Thanks,
Kent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2021 17:09 - 26 Feb 2021 17:10 #200206 by cmorley
First - fix machine so it doesn't hit limit switches - shouldn't happen in linuxcnc without an electronic failure. :)

Try this:
go to the settings page
check the override limits checkbox
turn machine on
immediately jog machine away from limit

That is how it should work.

Chris
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 17:10 by cmorley.

More
26 Feb 2021 17:31 #200209 by tommylight
Using a parallel port ?
If yes, when the pc locks, remove the limit switch wire from the parallel port, if it continues to work = there is over 5V DC or any amount of AC voltage going to the parallel port, and that should be rectified to prevent computer failure.
If not using parallel port, ground the PC.

More
26 Feb 2021 17:33 #200210 by cmorley

Using a parallel port ?
If yes, when the pc locks, remove the limit switch wire from the parallel port, if it continues to work = there is over 5V DC or any amount of AC voltage going to the parallel port, and that should be rectified to prevent computer failure.

I'm confident by locks e means he can't turn the machine on again because it's on a limit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Feb 2021 18:17 #200211 by tommylight

Using a parallel port ?

I'm confident by locks e means he can't turn the machine on again because it's on a limit.

:blush:

More
26 Feb 2021 18:19 #200212 by cmorley
you plasma guys are always worried about grounding :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Feb 2021 19:27 #200215 by turbostew
I am using a 7I92, It is a money making production 5x10 router. I do not like to scrap expensive material. I rarely hit a limit and when I do, I expect to rehome just the offending axis and restart from a line, not shutdown. Machine has been running Mach3 for years and now migrating to LinuxCNC.

Cmorely,
Alreadydid all you suggest, no worky.

Thanks All!!!

More
26 Feb 2021 19:30 #200216 by cmorley
You should never hit a limit switch because linuxcnc has soft limits to avoid that.

Are you using linuxcnc's version or Jim's?

What happened when you tried what I suggested?

More
26 Feb 2021 19:47 #200220 by turbostew
cmorely,

I am using ver 2.9 qtdragon. working with Jim's but not running yet.
What you suggest is already what I do, I have no problem jogging off an axis in startup. My problem is I rarely loose a few steps, intermittent Y Axis problem I have had lately, pulling my hair out, working the issue, but in the meantime, demands for my product keep coming, and I have to supply. So I believe it unreasonable to have to shutdown when a limit is hit. I should go to manual mode, rehome an axis, and run from line.

Kent

More
26 Feb 2021 19:54 #200221 by cmorley
So I might not understand exactly what happenning - I just did some tests with qtdragon in linuxcnc.

if i cause a trip while a program is running, i cannot get to the settings page to override the limits and turn linuxcnc back on.
You did say something like this but also said that you tried overriding the limts so i'm confused.

I will see if i can change the code to allow setting page to always be available.

Chris

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds