QTDragon will no longer open after update

More
26 Feb 2021 21:34 #200237 by tacklem60
I am running QTDragon on a Debian 10 Buster RTAI load of LinuxCNC. I know that not many people are running this setup but it's been working great for me for a while and I need RTAI to get acceptable latency results on my machine.

I have been running 2.8 for about 6 months now and just recently decided to update to 2.8.1 to hopefully fix a couple issues I was having with QTDragon. After performing the update, QTDragon will no longer open (report log attached).

I have verified that the QTDragon sim works fine on the machine and I have made no changes to the system other than the update to 2.8.1. Looking at the report log, it appears that the issue may be with my lack of the resources.py file in the listed directory. I did confirm that the file does not exist anywhere that I can locate it and I am looking for some help in obtaining the correct file.

I am also curious why the file wasn't required before the update but QTDragon won't open now without it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc_r...2-26.txt
File Size:9 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2021 21:49 #200240 by cmorley
resources/py is a generated file when you run qtdragon.
Can you tell me more about your system?
Does an error dialog pop up?
can you run the system with:

DISPLAY = qtvcp -d qtdragon

and read the terminal for more clues?

More
26 Feb 2021 22:03 #200242 by tacklem60
Thank you for replying.

An error dialog pop up does display when attempting to open. The details are copied below.

(Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/qtvcp", line 371, in <module>
APP = QTVCP()
File "/usr/bin/qtvcp", line 214, in __init__
window.handler_instance.initialized__()
File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon/qtdragon_handler.py", line 114, in initialized__
self.init_widgets()
File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon/qtdragon_handler.py", line 248, in init_widgets
self.w.lbl_tool_sensor_B2W.setText('INCH')
AttributeError: 'VCPWindow' object has no attribute 'lbl_tool_sensor_B2W')

I did try to run it with qtvcp -d qtdragon and got the below report from that. You will have to forgive my lack of experience with linux. Should i have the terminal open when doing this?

Also what system specifics would help?

Joe

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc_r...26-2.txt
File Size:10 KB
Attachments:

More
26 Feb 2021 22:09 #200243 by cmorley
When the pop up first comes up it may say that its the #2 or higher message.
we need to know the #1 error.
If the this is so press retry until you are on the #1 message hen quote the message there.

More
26 Feb 2021 22:18 - 26 Feb 2021 22:26 #200245 by tacklem60
Sorry I failed to mention that. The popup dialog does state that this is error #1. Again, quoted here below.

(Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/qtvcp", line 371, in <module>
APP = QTVCP()
File "/usr/bin/qtvcp", line 214, in __init__
window.handler_instance.initialized__()
File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon/qtdragon_handler.py", line 114, in initialized__
self.init_widgets()
File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon/qtdragon_handler.py", line 248, in init_widgets
self.w.lbl_tool_sensor_B2W.setText('INCH')
AttributeError: 'VCPWindow' object has no attribute 'lbl_tool_sensor_B2W')
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 22:26 by tacklem60.

More
26 Feb 2021 22:32 #200249 by cmorley
I see it now. You have a local qtdragon.ui file in your config folder that needs to be updated.

[QtDesigner.QTVCP.QT_PSTAT][[36mINFO[0m] Using LOCAL ui file from [33m/home/tacklem60/linuxcnc/configs/Dragon/qtdragon.ui[0m (qt_pstat.py:106)

More
26 Feb 2021 22:39 #200250 by tacklem60
You are a life saver!!! I have spent hours going down the wrong rabbit hole. I deleted my local copy of the .ui file and everything works flawlessly! Makes complete sense now too because the whole reason I wanted to do the update was to fix some usability issues with the interface. I will always be in debt to people like you in this community.

Thank you so so much.

Joe

More
26 Feb 2021 22:41 #200251 by cmorley
No problem.
Please report usability problems too.

More
26 Feb 2021 22:51 #200252 by tacklem60
Absolutely. The two issues I had were both corrected by andypugh based on some posts I made late last year.

When I upgraded to 2.8 and switched to QTDragon, the manual jog slider bar had a range from 0-3600 no matter what I tried to change in the UI. With a max jog rate of 250ipm, obviously that made the slider bar effectively useless because my entire range if speed was smaller than I could realistically adjust. This has now been fixed and the max is now set to the machine max linear velocity.

The second issue was with the tool table. Making any edit at all in the tool table would duplicate every tool in the table. As you could imagine, that would quickly get out of hand if you tried making 3 or 4 changes and all of a sudden went from 20 to over 300 tools! Just verified that andy also nailed that fix in 2.8.1.

Other than the forum, is there a better place to track these issues for others that have the problem so they can see that updating should fix them?

Joe

More
26 Feb 2021 23:02 #200256 by cmorley
if it's an issue that doesn't get fixed right away or needs a lot of discussion or just to document it:

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues
The following user(s) said Thank You: tacklem60

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds