QtDragon tool sensor issue

More
08 Jan 2022 14:30 #231120 by myval
Guys I have another issue I am bashing my head on the machine about. 
when I hit Touch Plate in qtdragon it probes down touches moves up but then the message pops up.
wow and before I finish writing it another issue, I hit save to file in Status and whole thing crashed and fell out of the pc. second time I hit enter and it keeps running but no log anywhere.
Traceback (most recent call last):   File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon/qtdragon_handler.py", line 734, in btn_save_status_clicked     filename = 'status_' + filename.replace(' ','_') + '.txt' TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'
Have I missed to enter filename anywhere?

anyway back to the original problem.
here is the message I get:

Sat08 15:21 Touchoff to touchplate started
Sat08 15:21   CALL_MDI_WAIT timeout surpassed 5 seconds 
Sat08 15:21 Touchplate probe routine returned with error

do I have to set the timeout? or what settings have I missed? is it because it moves too far too slow?
I don't even know where to start troubleshooting nor what files to upload here to check?

thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2022 18:10 #231145 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic QtDragon tool sensor issue
Error about file name is a bug left over from converting to python 3 (You must be using linuxcnc 2.9?)

Timeout error.
MDI commands have a timeout setting, I beleive 5 seconds is the default setting.

The last MDI command took longer then that. I'll have to look at the code to see if 5 seconds is appropriate or not.
I think it probes twice the second time the probe should be close so 5 seconds would be ok.
If the error came on the first probe I would say you might start probing too far away or too slow.
Possibly allowing the timeout to be set in the settings page might be helpful too.

More
08 Jan 2022 19:34 #231155 by myval
Replied by myval on topic QtDragon tool sensor issue
yes I am on 2.9, the issue is not important really since I can copy text instead of saving it.

Right the timeout makes sense it sort of makes no difference what height I probe from but it happens after the first touch on the move up. I will try to bump up the speed a little and try again tomorrow. I was probably way too scared and slow.
But the timeout is not settable is it?

thank you

More
09 Jan 2022 03:57 - 09 Jan 2022 04:02 #231215 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic QtDragon tool sensor issue
I think I know the problem - are you using an inch based machine?
Did you notice the probe settings on the settings page are always specified in metric?
The timeout is not currently user settable.

Last edit: 09 Jan 2022 04:02 by cmorley.

More
13 Jan 2022 11:25 #231651 by myval
Replied by myval on topic QtDragon tool sensor issue
Hi, no its all metric. I think the problem was that i was way too slow to probe. I bumped up the speed a little and seems to be fine so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cmorley

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds