QtDragon_HD laser settigs

More
27 Dec 2022 16:55 #260412 by Zavrl
Hello,
I am a beginner in CNC machining and LinuxCNC. I made my CNC router myself and therefore decided to use LinuxCNC. As a beginner with no knowledge of the Linux system, not the Python programming language, I spent a lot of time reading how-to guides, reading forums, and watching Youtube movies.
I have been using LinuxCNC with QTDragon HD GUI for three months now. So I'm building products, not just testing the program. Since I decided to work with Linux Debian 11 and LinuxCNC 2.9, I got into a dead end several times. The instructions of LinuxCNC V2.9.0-pre0-7916-g603d3e26b, 12 Aug 2022 are well written, but I note that there are quite a few instructions written for the QTDragon HD interface, which are not true in practice.
I decided to share my findings on the forum, because I know how time flies when you sit in front of the screen, look at the instructions, try and test live and the thing doesn't work.

The graphical interface allows connecting a laser for easier positioning of the XY coordinates, in case the G54 coordinates are not sufficient. The instructions clearly state that in the INI file, in the Laser section, the X and Y coordinates for which the laser cross deviates from the center - the center of the tool's attachment - must be entered. Unfortunately, this does not work as expected.

The GUI has an additional SETTINGS screen, in which additional information about various settings, including LASER OFFSET, can be entered. Only if values are entered here the button REF. LASER correctly enters the new coordinates for X0 and Y0, of course for the selected user coordinates G54, G55,...

The values for XY in the settings for LASER OFFSET must be entered logically. If the measured value for X or Y of the laser is positive, then it is entered in the settings with a minus sign, and vice versa, if the measured value is negative, a positive value is entered.

I wish you successful work with LinuxCNC and the QTDragon_HD interface
Attached are some photos from my settings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2022 23:50 #260449 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic QtDragon_HD laser settigs
The laser offset entries in the INI file were depracated quite a while ago. I checked the code in the version that comes with linuxcnc example screens and it only uses the values stored in the SETTINGS page.
Jim

More
02 Jan 2023 14:25 #260767 by Zavrl
Replied by Zavrl on topic QtDragon_HD laser settigs
So this means that the values for the settings are stored in a separate file. What is the name of this file and where exactly is it located?
It is important that I can save it in the archive, because I assume that it is possible that the data will be overwritten when the interface is upgraded.

More
02 Jan 2023 15:48 #260772 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic QtDragon_HD laser settigs
These values, along with many others, are stored in the qtdragon.pref file located in the config directory. It's the same directory where your .ini and .hal files are stored. It is not overwritten when you update linuxcnc.
Jim

More
02 Jan 2023 16:26 #260773 by Zavrl
Replied by Zavrl on topic QtDragon_HD laser settigs
Thanks for the quick reply.
In practice, this method is even better because the changed data is read immediately. If they are stored in .ini file, a new start of linuxcnc and machine homing is required.
Best regards
Tibor

More
04 Jan 2023 07:19 #260898 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic QtDragon_HD laser settigs
I've removed the references to the INI settings for probing from the docs. Thanks guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds