QTDragon_HD Probe Basic - Probe Calibration

More
09 Apr 2024 23:38 #297877 by andyandy26
Hey all,

I'm hoping to get some clarification on the probing setup used by the Probe_basic system in QTDragon_HD.
I'm trying to calibrate my 3D probe, which the GUI provides an interface for doing, but I'm unable to find any documentation that explains it's use.

I measured my probe tip with a micrometer, a ruby tip of 1.987mm. Probe_Basic then has an input box for this number (tip diameter).

Now to calibrate the probe, I have first reduced the runout to <0.02mm. Was hoping for <0.01, but couldn't for the life of me do better with the little grub screws!

Reading the probe_routines.py, the calibration routine first probes the center of the bore, then repeats from the calculated center another probe cycle. I can confirm it does this, but the only return seems to be filling out the delta status box. is there no automation here, or am I missing something?

When I run the cycle using a bore I've made that measures 31.201mm (used bore gauge), it reads back a measured diameter of 31.507mm, a delta of 0.306mm diameter or 0.153mm probe offset. 

What do I do now? I tried entering this into the "calibration offset", but then when I measure the bore using the standard bore probe routine, it still reads 31.507?

Note I also measured a 100mm gage block, and it read the same offset.

What am I missing here? Should I just add this offset to the probe tip diameter? That sounds wrong to me as it would then affect my z as well.

Any help would be hugely appreciated! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2024 02:27 #297980 by cmorley
After looking in the sources I can confirm the calibration is not used in any other probing.
I assume you can do as you said modify the probe diameter as per the calibration.

I am sure there are better things to do with calibration but I am not an expert on probing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Apr 2024 09:58 #297994 by andyandy26
Well, thanks for confirming!
Thought I was losing my mind.

Perhaps in the future I'll make a few amendments if it becomes bothersome :)

Have a nice day,

Andrew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Apr 2024 17:15 #298010 by cmorley
Please share any progress you make.

Chris

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds