Slingshot

More
29 Dec 2015 21:11 #67464 by jimkrum
Slingshot was created by jimkrum
How to make (play) wooden slingshot. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2016 23:09 #67667 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Slingshot
Purdy!

JT

More
02 Jan 2016 16:11 #67712 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Slingshot
Good demo of how strong wood lamination can be.

I am not normally a Health and Safety zealot, but some of the sequences with the circular saw and spindle moulder (upturned router) in particular, did have me twitching.

Push sticks, ring fences and retaining all 10 digits, not very big in your neck of the woods? :(

More
03 Jan 2016 20:58 #67772 by jimkrum
Replied by jimkrum on topic Slingshot
Dont worry about my fingers.

More
04 Jan 2016 14:04 #67823 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Slingshot
You have sausages for fingers?

I have always been impressed by that system, though it does look like a false trigger could get expensive. IIRC it's a pretty destructive retract, isn't it?

Personally I see 10 fingers as built-in redundancy :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
04 Jan 2016 18:39 #67862 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Slingshot
We have one of those saws here. (And we've had one trip on it.) A solenoid (or something else, it's a single use device) drives an aluminum stop into the blade, and I think the blade"s inertia retracts it into the table. We only had to replace the stop cartridge (didn't even noticeably hurt the blade). But for only $70, changing that cartridge is considerably cheaper than having a finger sewn back on.

But as to our "false" trip. We aren't sure what happened. A couple of idiots were using the saw, they slammed a 5x10 sheet of 3/4" MDF into the side of the (running) blade, and tore the guards all up, they then made one cut then went to make their second cut (after turning the sheet around) and noticed the blade was gone. They claimed they did not hit the blade or guards when they where turning the sheet (yeah right) and have no idea why it tripped (they didn't hear or notice when it actually tripped).

People like this are why we bought the saw to start with. Personally, for myself, I was fine with the old Delta it replaced. A saw is a dangerous tool that needs to be treated as such. Small children and morons should be kept at a safe distance.

More
04 Jan 2016 18:49 #67863 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Slingshot

But for only $70, changing that cartridge is considerably cheaper than having a finger sewn back on.

Ah, well, over here in the UK we get fingers sewn back on for free. Assuming you have enough fingers left to pick them up with.

:-)

More
04 Mar 2016 04:36 - 04 Mar 2016 05:01 #71013 by tome
Replied by tome on topic Slingshot

But for only $70, changing that cartridge is considerably cheaper than having a finger sewn back on.

Ah, well, over here in the UK we get fingers sewn back on for free. Assuming you have enough fingers left to pick them up with.

:-)

There's a conundrum for you. Honey? Can you come and get my fingers? :) Maker-Works has a Saw Stop. It has fired a handful number of times (pun intended). Wet wood, or a nail/metal can set it off. It is indeed an expensive proposition. It cost about $130 USD for the cartridge in addition to a new blade each time it goes.

Bosch now has an alternative that does not destroy the blade. You may get nicked but not sliced.
www.gizmag.com/bosch-reaxx-table-saw/36636/

-Tom
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 05:01 by tome. Reason: minor edit

More
05 Mar 2016 01:16 #71068 by w7rms
Replied by w7rms on topic Slingshot
[quote=" We only had to replace the stop cartridge (didn't even noticeably hurt the blade). But for only $70, changing that cartridge is considerably cheaper than having a finger sewn back on."[/quote]

You should have any blade that been stopped this way inspected by a competent saw shop before it is put back in use.. You need to make sure that is still flat and has no loose carbide tips. With the blade going from about 4K rpm to a full stop in less than 5ms. I've seen teeth ripped off and the plate warped,,mostly on cheap blades. You can't even walk through the emergency room door for the $70 cost of a new cartridge.

I work In a store that that sells these saws and get to see the results of a lot of table saw accidents. I also get to hear from happy users that still have all their (remaining) fingers after an incident with one of these saws.

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds