RugBot 1000

More
24 Mar 2016 19:55 #72109 by Badger
RugBot 1000 was created by Badger
I have been working on my rugbot for a few years now and it is finally up and running. Like many projects there is room for improvements. Many thanks to the kind folks here for their help. When I started I knew nothing about CNC and figured that open source was the only way to go. The key things I found were using Inkscape and gcodetools tangent knife to create the paths, then using "hypot" of only the X & Y axis to input a velocity command to drive the needle keeps even spacing at any speed. Thanks and I hope you find the video entertaining

The following user(s) said Thank You: geoffs, deanforbes, thefabricator03, Abati

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2016 22:56 #72116 by alan_3301
Replied by alan_3301 on topic RugBot 1000
Wow, that is really cool! Good job!

If only there was more time in the day, I would want to make one of these.

More
11 Apr 2016 12:38 #73096 by Fastest1
Replied by Fastest1 on topic RugBot 1000
That is cool. Good job.

More
28 Apr 2016 16:52 #74009 by harvolt
Replied by harvolt on topic RugBot 1000
Sweet. thats some nice custom machine....!

More
06 Jul 2016 22:40 #77109 by OttoDidact
Replied by OttoDidact on topic RugBot 1000
That's excellent. I love the weirdness that's possible with LinuxCNC. I believe in the cottage industry industrial revolution. Blazing your own trail is where it's at.

Rock on.

More
12 Jan 2018 18:14 #104353 by fabatecperu
Replied by fabatecperu on topic RugBot 1000
please badger. what is hypot.. please I want to do this for a sewing machine..

please help me friend

thanks a lot have a nice day badger.

More
12 Jan 2018 23:48 #104373 by Badger
Replied by Badger on topic RugBot 1000
Hypot is a HAL Realtime component. I use it to get the velocity of the combined movement of the X and Y axis and use it to control the velocity of the needle motor. The result is that I am able to get perfectly consistent stitch length regardless of the speed or direction. When the velocity drops for turns, the velocity of the needle matches the speed and perfect spacing.

I have attached my files which may or may not help. The needle is listed as axis "U" and is run by stepgen.6 in a velocity mode using step and direction to a DMM servo . There are some other things happening like rotating the mechanism with axis A and some other specialized stuff which I can describe if needed.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nkp, fabatecperu, Abati

More
13 Jan 2018 00:03 #104375 by fabatecperu
great teacher.
yes I understand.
I was thinking about using one of the following options.
1) use a dc motor for the needle and using hypot to send a pwm signal to vary the speed proportional to the hypot speed. but would you do to get this pwm signal from hypot ??
2) Use an ac motor and a vfd frequency variator. and use the 0-10 signal to control rpm proportional to hypot ... I think it's the same as the previous one because it would be equivalent to using pwm ..

a question:
How do you control the table xy . only move the table when the needle is up. to avoid breaking needle.
I do not have a servomotor for now. they are very expensive.
but I find it interesting.

You are a genius .. I would like to achieve it and share it with you.

More
13 Jan 2018 00:08 #104377 by fabatecperu
maybe recommend me a manual or book to learn to program linuxcnc. Im new in this.

More
13 Jan 2018 00:49 #104379 by Badger
Replied by Badger on topic RugBot 1000
I use a sub-routine at the end of the move. I will try to get some files off my controller to show you the code. Basically at the end of the move the gcode calls a subroutine that moves the needle motor until it lines up with a sensor which corresponds to the up position, and then pauses. Currently I then manually move the head back along what would be the Z axis, cut the yarn, press "S" on the keyboard which starts the program and moves to the start of the next move, and pauses. I then move the head back into contact where it is held by an air cylinder which acts as a constant force spring. I then hit "S" again to restart the program and it continues on its way. For my needs I cruise at 240 stitches/ 1080mm per minute which is slow enough for me to react to jams and whatnot.

I feel confident that you can use the velocity output of Hypot run PMW or +/- voltage but I don't know the details. Linuxcnc is very rich in features and there is documentation on this website but not any "manuals" that I am aware of. This forum and its users are the best resource but you have to figure out what to ask.

Also if you give a description of what you are trying to do it helps out a lot. The vast majority of CNC users are controlling wood and metal working machinery so you have to be creative in figuring out the useful similarities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abati

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds