Finally Finished! EMCOMAT 20E

More
24 Oct 2016 16:51 #81993 by Mtndrew77
After about two years I've finally finished and made my first parts yesterday. I just wanted to post some pictures and give a BIG Thank you to all those who have helped me and responded to my posts. Also a BIG thank you to all of you who have put in countless hours writing and building Linux CNC. You have truly done the heavy lifting here. I just connected stuff together, and did a whole lot of reading.
Thank you all!

Build List.

EmcoMat 20E
Mesa 7i76e
Huanyang inverter
Wanti steppers and drives
Old Okuma Control Panel
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2016 17:31 #81999 by andypugh
Is that a motorised compound slide? I don't think I have seen that done before.

More
24 Oct 2016 18:11 #82001 by Mtndrew77
No, but it has a rotary encoder inside. It's not hooked up, but I left in there in case I every thought of a use for it.
The whole machine is kind of strange. It was only a single axis CNC and you switched between x and z with a gear lever.
Tapers had to be cut old school, and it had a special tool holder that just actuated in and out for threading.

More
24 Oct 2016 18:21 #82002 by andypugh

No, but it has a rotary encoder inside. It's not hooked up, but I left in there in case I every thought of a use for it.
The whole machine is kind of strange. It was only a single axis CNC and you switched between x and z with a gear lever.

OK, in that case I guess it makes some sense. But not much.
On the two lathes that I have converted to CNC I have removed the compound completely.
goo.gl/photos/CPQmLGaVM7hyYp9v7

Tapers had to be cut old school, and it had a special tool holder that just actuated in and out for threading.

Those special Multifix threading holders are actually quite sought-after. if it is one of these
goo.gl/photos/byk7tC3qFimkH5ZdA
Possibly worth keeping, though, as the tangential tool is rather nice and easy to resharpen. Unlike insert tooling.

More
24 Oct 2016 23:15 #82019 by Mtndrew77
Attached a picture it just takes standard stick tooling. The solenoid moved it back and forth about a quarter inch.
I'd be willing to sell it, or barter for some other multifix holders if anyone is interested.
Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2016 08:28 #82029 by andypugh

I'd be willing to sell it, or barter for some other multifix holders if anyone is interested.

I think that it is the manual ones that people want.

I bought a bunch of holders from: www.createtool.com/ They are in China but reply very promptly to emails and are very helpful. They don't advertise them, but they sell blank toolholders too (the block with the spline and adjuster, but no slots or holes). I used one of those to make a holder for a P H Horn RNK224 parting tool cartridge.

More
25 Oct 2016 12:59 #82036 by Mtndrew77
I watched a guy use a manual one on youtube, he still had both hands busy to make a thread. Personally I'd rather hit the green button then stand back and drink a beer.

Thanks for the link

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds