Convert Fusion360 Tool Library to LinuxCNC Tool Table

More
06 Jan 2017 06:49 #85326 by ntc490
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I recently wrote a Python script that creates a LinuxCNC Tool Table based off your Fusion360 Tool Library. You just export your Library from Fusion360 and run this script on it to generate your new Tool Table. Hopefully it helps someone else. github.com/ntc490/fusion360/
The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh, Jake, racedirector, plopes9000, harindugamlath, ucancallmebob89

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2017 11:06 #85331 by andypugh
Could be handy, indeed.
I sometimes find myself wanting to go the other way, clear out all the stuff in Fusion that I don't have and show only my actual tools with the right numbers.

More
06 Jan 2017 12:47 #85334 by racedirector
Awesome, thanks NTC!

More
24 Nov 2017 19:26 - 24 Nov 2017 19:28 #102309 by CrashCNC
This script seems to be awesome.

I'm a noob to linux.

I understand how to run python code, but do not understand "run this script on it". Can you elaborate or point me to a link for reading up on the topic?

I seem to be getting a message that is:

"import error: no module named docopt"

I am running the install of linux that comes packaged with LinuxCNC 2.7
Last edit: 24 Nov 2017 19:28 by CrashCNC.

More
24 Nov 2017 19:41 #102313 by andypugh
docopt seems to be a library for parsing command-line arguments.

If you go to Settings->Synaptic Package Manager and search for "docopt" you will find python-docopt. That should fix the problem.
Or you could alter the script to use sys and sys.argv. Or, on fact, for a one-off, just edit the script to hard-coded values.

More
25 Nov 2017 12:23 #102333 by Jake
This could be handy Thanks!

More
15 Mar 2021 15:02 #202354 by plopes9000
I too found this script needed and very useful - thank you Nathan.

While I do not wish to add tools manually in LinuxCNC to bring over to fusion 360, I do not wish to get measured tool offsets overriden when I change the fusion library and run the script to update the LinuxCNC tool file. Hence in my view of the workflow, fusion 360 tool library is the master tool library but measured tool offsets should be retained.

Another thing that I came to need, was to take advantage of the fusion 360 library details on tool holder length, tool length and tool type, to extract hints for tool setter tool measurements.

I ended up creating a v2 of the script and made a pull request on Nathan GitHub rep github.com/ntc490/fusion360/pulls.

Unfortunately adding information like that to the LinuxCNC tool table it is not a simple matter. I thought of using the description field or use columns not needed for a mill. I went with the latter, and so it is not a general solution.

None the less I thought it may be useful for someone else, hence sharing it here.

More
17 Mar 2021 13:45 #202597 by andypugh

Unfortunately adding information like that to the LinuxCNC tool table it is not a simple matter.

There are ways to use a real database or an alternative data structure for the tool table in LinuxCNC Master (ie, the dev version)

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/tooldatabase/tooldatabase.html

More
24 Mar 2024 16:24 - 24 Mar 2024 16:32 #296627 by egemens
Hello,
I changed the script a little bit to be run inside Fusion 360 as an add-in.
It asks you to choose a json file from CAMTools directory and outputs a formatted file using ntc490's code above. Previously i made a similar one for Mach 3, used the same approach with LinuxCNC. Only tested on a mac. Hope it is useful.

github.com/egemens/Fusion-360-tools-to-LinuxCNC-exporter
Last edit: 24 Mar 2024 16:32 by egemens.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds