Mydanis myTurn120

More
04 Aug 2020 06:27 #177181 by mydani
Mydanis myTurn120 was created by mydani
Hi guys,
thought I'd show also some of my retrofits - this "simple" EmcoTurn was the first interaction with LinuxCNC after an awful experience with Mach3 for Lathe few years before. I bought the machine a few years ago, sold the DC drive + unit unfortunately (I just was not comfortable with it back then - no I totally regret). Then the machine was completely dismantled, every screw was taken out, and then I had to sell it to a friend because my space contract was cancelled.. 2018 I got new space and my friend sold the parts back to me :woohoo: - but he found a "Spinner" lathe on the trash as a replacement :angry:

Anyhow, I cleaned it up, repainted it, had all the sheet metal powder coated, then put the mechanics together. Just to find out I have a prototype of the Emcoturn machines from an original Emco employee (some measures on the tool change are not same compared to the series machines, little beefier). Did fit "closed loop" chinese steppers (HSS60) instead of the original 5 phase ones.
Today I would fit AC servos. Also would fit glas scales, which I missed, too. At least I could add a central lubrication pump.
The missing spindle motor was replaced by a 4kW AC motor 1500RPM with VFD, which makes 4500RPM no prob.
And for the tool changer I used a simple arduino half bridge for steppers, few bucks but works flawless. Together with MESA 7i77 which - with a new bitfile - produces a PWM to control it.

LinuxCNC wise I didn't do to much, it still runs 2.7 on wheezy. What I did add is an oiler comp, which measures the length the axis moved and when it reaches a defined amount of meters (I think it was 2 meters acc. to the manual), an oiler impulse is sent.
And of course I coded a tool changer component.

For the work pieces I tried a cheap front mount 80mm 3 jaw chuck first, but repeatability was... cheap.
And I wanted to automate production, so I searched a collet chuck which I could automate - and with Ortlieb SSF I found one (I suspect the original one sold by Emco is also an Ortlieb). So I put it on there, with a corresponding air cylinder and some bar grabber - and so for it's fine.

I will link some pictures in the next post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2020 06:34 #177183 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic Mydanis myTurn120

I will link some pictures in the next post.

Waiting imptiently....drumming fingers on table....check the watch.....recheck the watch....

More
04 Aug 2020 16:43 #177258 by mydani
Replied by mydani on topic Mydanis myTurn120
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
04 Aug 2020 16:44 #177259 by mydani

More
04 Aug 2020 16:45 #177260 by mydani
Here's a short clip of one series I ran lately.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Aug 2020 18:04 #177266 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Mydanis myTurn120
Very nice, thank you.

More
05 Aug 2020 06:39 #177351 by mydani
Only thanks to LinuxCNC and it's community, so thank you!

In the near future I will convert a Emcoturn 120P for a friend to LinuxCNC, including glas scales, pneumatic everything, and original DC drive, so another adventure on the go... :lol:

More
05 Aug 2020 11:27 - 05 Aug 2020 11:29 #177383 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic Mydanis myTurn120
I like your control cabinet lay out. Very neat. Also like the way you autmated the collet chuck and made a gripper to feed the bar.
Mark
Last edit: 05 Aug 2020 11:29 by RotarySMP.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds