Fanuc Pulse Coder Conversion

More
29 Sep 2020 22:51 #184333 by hoffb77
Like myself, some of you may have some viable Fanuc DC servos laying around but a dead encoder has them collecting dust. Anyone who has them knows fitting a non Fanuc encoder is going to take some time. When I first looked into this project, a rebuilt encoder was costing $700 plus the core. I am by no means claiming to achieve Fanuc accuracy with these, but I am beyond happy with their performance. The US Digital E3 kit runs $80-100. These are 1000CPR w/Index, mounting plate and default cover. They come in at $96. I also needed some 3x5mm stand-offs....3 each.

I started by stripping the old components off and clamping it to the mill table.While using the centering tool provided by US Digital, I perfectly located the holes to drill in the new mounting plate by placing a bit into the stand-offs. The stand-offs will need shaved down to center the encoder wheel with the pick-up once all your holes are made.

Everything fits under the OEM cover, they perform well and came right at $100. If anyone is interested I can provide more details.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 16:44 #184843 by tommylight
Very nice, thank you.
I have to replace the resolvers on a Mazak lathe, but i got some lousy encoders that are a b!@tch to mount properly, so just prolonging my agony by procrastinating! :)

More
05 Oct 2020 00:56 #184896 by hoffb77
Ive been kicking around different ways to skin this cat for some time. And this wasnt my first Fanuc encoder conversion either....haha

I did a straight disk and pickup job on an even older pulse coder. I used US Digital components for it too. I didn't have to modify the core on either conversion, though wouldn't call the one pictured here much of a conversion. This one was hot and out of necessity....

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds