Taig 5019CR Micro Mill

More
10 Oct 2022 04:37 - 10 Oct 2022 07:24 #253844 by DSS
Taig 5019CR Micro Mill was created by DSS
 I have found myself here on the forums quite a bit as of late, So allow me to start by saying Thank you to everyone who has posted. I learn something new with each thread I read.

The current project that has my attention is a Taig milling machine I am in the process of setting up with LinuxCNC using Mesa hardware. I originally installed a Mesa 7I92 paired with a leadshine MX4660. This turned out to be a poor combo choice on my part. While the Mesa manual was clear under "STARTUP I/O VOLTAGE" that the initial state of the pins would be high. The leadshine manual was not as clear on it's description of the on board charge pump. The leadshine CP has no control over the I/O, only onboard drivers. This pose a problem for me as my AC spindle was controlled via a relay with one of those outputs!

My solution was to upgrade to the new Mesa 7I96S. Cheaper then swapping to Gecko stepper drivers and does anybody need a reason to buy more Mesa hardware. I will pair the 7I92 with a G540 for another project or perhaps a 7I76 not sure, a lot of options available for the 7I92 board. If I was to start over I would pair some G203V or GR214V's with a 7I96S board. This is the current state of my Taig milling machine after the retro fit to the Mesa 7I96S ( spoiler due to large image size, Ignore my wiring it is a mess )

Warning: Spoiler!

My current configuration consists of.
  • GK41 PC I picked up on amazon " Here " as recommended by The Feral Engineer on YouTube.
  • Debian 11 with RT kernel
  • LinuxCNC 2.9 Master
  • Probe Basic
  • Leadshine MX4660
  • AvidCNC Nema 23 Steppers
  • Mesa 7I96S
  • Misc relays, terminals, fuses ect.
And here is a YouTube "short" video I filmed testing my home switches and spindle control after the 7I96S upgrade.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2022 07:24 by DSS. Reason: text-edit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2022 05:09 - 10 Oct 2022 06:32 #253845 by DSS
Replied by DSS on topic Taig 5019CR Micro Mill
 Using Pncconf, I was able to get everything setup including using the fifth stegen for the MX4660's charge pump signal. The one change I did make included commenting out the default e-stop entry and adding my own in the custom.hal file.

For my e-stop I wanted to use both a physical e-stop button and the gui e-stop. And in all cases require a physical start/reset button to be pressed after a e-stop. Using only one input and one output I was able to accomplish this. My e-stop disables the AC spindle and stepper motors while keeping the control cabinet / LinuxCNC powered and running aware of the fault. Thanks to BigJohnT's post on the estop latch component. 

loadrt estop_latch
loadrt oneshot
loadrt not

addf estop-latch.0     servo-thread
addf oneshot.0         servo-thread
addf not.0             servo-thread  

setp oneshot.0.width 1

net reset-ui   oneshot.0.out                     => halui.estop.reset
net reset-trig oneshot.0.in                      <= [HMOT](CARD0).inm.00.input-04
net relayout not.0.out                           => [HMOT](CARD0).ssr.00.out-02
net relay-in not.0.in                            <= estop-latch.0.fault-out
net estop-loopout iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in      <= estop-latch.0.ok-out
net estop-loopin iocontrol.0.user-enable-out     => estop-latch.0.ok-in
net estop-reset iocontrol.0.user-request-enable  => estop-latch.0.reset
net remote-estop estop-latch.0.fault-in          <= [HMOT](CARD0).inm.00.input-04-not

I am still not positive that is the best way to go about it, but for now it works. Feedback always welcome. With that we should be up to date on the current state of the mill. I have to finish wiring in the tool setter and then I will start the tramming process.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2022 06:32 by DSS. Reason: formating
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unlogic

More
10 Oct 2022 08:30 #253856 by DSS
Decided to make another YouTube "short" this evening showing how the above post / hal works in practice. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Unlogic

More
04 Nov 2023 15:21 #284536 by Unlogic
Replied by Unlogic on topic Taig 5019CR Micro Mill
I just wanted to say a big thanks for this very nice and clear example on how to integrate a physical e-stop with the software e-stop in LinuxCNC and always requiring a physical button to reset the e-stop.

For my setup I adapted your code slightly in order for it to work with the ABB SSR10 safety relay I'm using. I also added an inverted oneshot on the output so that e-stop is automatically triggered if LinuxCNC is not running.

I posted the modified HAL code in my thread here: forum.linuxcnc.org/12-milling/50559-opti...nc-conversion#284533
The following user(s) said Thank You: DSS

More
04 Nov 2023 19:05 #284556 by DSS
Thanks for posting your build / HAL. I really like the change to a safety relay. To accomplish the same functionality I had to tie a few of my spare relays together.

I am currently gathering parts to go Mesa 7I95T ( for the linear encoder inputs ) on my Taig. I will be looking into safety relay options while I am at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unlogic

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds