Announcing Deckard: StreamDeck support for LinuxCNC

More
15 May 2024 15:06 #300688 by TangentAudio

Take it easy there, guys. No point getting personal because somebody got off topic.

Agreed, I didn't mean for it to be a personal attack on Rod.  Just relating how a couple of instances of his forum behavior came across to me.  The off-topic part doesn't bug me that much, tangents are how good discussions happen.  But, "you made X and I don't like X, I'd rather use Y" is not a particularly fruitful discussion about X.  Just move on and use Y, if that's how you feel.

I'm sure these discussions would be much smoother over a round of beers.  Just the nature of forums sometimes, unfortunately.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2024 18:45 #300690 by TangentAudio
I have added experimental support for standard keyboard key injection into the X Window System (via the Pynput Library )  This opens the door to something like making an MDI keypad page which would be shown only when in MDI mode.  I need to do some more work to add page swapping/navigation before it will be fully practical, but generating the keystrokes from StreamDeck keypresses works.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Unlogic

More
16 May 2024 06:26 #300713 by blazini36
I was shopping around on Aliexpress and found these 7" parallel LCDs:
7" LCD

These are good for being driven from an MCU, there's a pretty decent library on github with a bunch of this type of LCD. There's an SD card slot on it where I suppose images could be stored. Using an HDMI LCD would be a waste for something like this.

They also have similar LCDs with a built in ESP32 but there's no real GPIO, so it'd need some I2C IO expanders to actually read buttons. When I get around to it I'll whip up a PCB with an STM32 and an RS422 transceiver for the interface and something for the buttons, I'll probably have to experiment with that a bit. Either way I can see a DIYer being able to make something like this for well under $100

BTW tangentAudio, hope I'm not threadjacking too hard......I can take this somewhere else lol

More
16 May 2024 12:17 #300733 by TangentAudio

blazini36 post=300713 userid=23364
BTW tangentAudio, hope I'm not threadjacking too hard......I can take this somewhere else lol

I'm happy to throw some ideas around for a DIY version, but let's start a different thread for that.  If only we had a subforum for user interface hardware...

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds