Hexapod Controls

More
26 Aug 2013 23:44 #38117 by ddmotim
Replied by ddmotim on topic Hexapod Controls
Okay thanks. Got that working, now I've got some new error messages to sort through, but I'm on my way. Will I always have to run linuxcnc from a terminal to use ja3?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2013 00:44 #38120 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hexapod Controls

Okay thanks. Got that working, now I've got some new error messages to sort through, but I'm on my way. Will I always have to run linuxcnc from a terminal to use ja3?

No if you decide you want to keep it you can install ja3:
./configure --prefix /usr
make
sudo make install

More
27 Aug 2013 00:45 - 27 Aug 2013 00:51 #38121 by ddmotim
Okay thanks. Good to know.

The good: I got to the point where I can open LinuxCNC with no errors.
The bad: But now my machine will not jog. Here is the error that pops up when I try to jog:
can't read "::jogAxisType(1)": no such variable
can't read "::jogAxisType(1)": no such variable
    while executing
"switch $::jogAxisType($axisToJog) {
      linear  {set speed $::linearJogSpeed}
      angular {set speed $::angularJogSpeed}
      undefined {return}
..."
    (procedure "jogPos" line 11)
    invoked from within
"jogPos $equalAxis"
    (procedure "equalDown" line 10)
    invoked from within
"equalDown"
    (command bound to event)
I can get into mdi mode and give it commands, but without jog mode I cannot home it, so I can't tell if the movements are doing what they should.
More good: From what I can tell as is, motion seems much healthier and smoother with ja3.
More bad (maybe): Probably just a programming error on my part, but it seems like axes XYZ move linearly as they should, but so do axes ABC. These should be rotational.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 00:51 by ddmotim.

More
27 Aug 2013 02:50 #38124 by ddmotim
Update: I had been using TkEMC gui (which I think I like better for this machine). I switched to Axis, and I can jog all axes in joint and world mode.

As such, I could home my machine and start testing it. X, Y, and Z move beautifully as I expect they should. A, B, and C do not. they are not rotating about any specific axis, and are translating instead. It seems like by switching to ja3, I have just given myself an equal and opposite issue (with the original linuxcnc build, I could rotate about the axes, but not move along them). Any ideas what is going on?

I did notice that when homing my axes (in joint mode), joints 0,1, and 2 are linear, and 3,4, and 5 are rotational. In my INI file, all 6 joints are set to be linear. I'm sure this has something to do with my problem...

More
27 Aug 2013 03:00 #38125 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hexapod Controls

I did notice that when homing my axes (in joint mode), joints 0,1, and 2 are linear, and 3,4, and 5 are rotational. In my INI file, all 6 joints are set to be linear. I'm sure this has something to do with my problem...

As far as I know, the LINEAR and ROTARY in the INI file only choose which jog-speed slider the jog number is pulled from.
(and maybe not even that)

I don't have any experience with hexapods to know what to expect.

More
28 Aug 2013 01:17 #38167 by PKM
Replied by PKM on topic Hexapod Controls

Update: I had been using TkEMC gui (which I think I like better for this machine). I switched to Axis, and I can jog all axes in joint and world mode.

As such, I could home my machine and start testing it. X, Y, and Z move beautifully as I expect they should. A, B, and C do not. they are not rotating about any specific axis, and are translating instead. It seems like by switching to ja3, I have just given myself an equal and opposite issue (with the original linuxcnc build, I could rotate about the axes, but not move along them). Any ideas what is going on?

That looks like kinematics issue. DId you double check everything there?
I used genhexkins pretty much with some earlier 2.4-2.5 versions and did not have such problems.

Show us your ini file.
That should not affect at all, but there might be some other issues.

More
28 Aug 2013 04:47 #38170 by ddmotim
So I messed around with it a bit, changed some of my settings, double and triple checked everything. As a last shot, I decided to try one of the other options in the genhexkins file (I switched from mini-tetra to the Ingersol Hexapod). And it works!! :woohoo: I guess my machine (cable winch system) is better suited to that version of the kinematics. Did some fine tuning on the scale and mounting locations and started cutting test parts
Thanks for all the help and input.

More
28 Aug 2013 04:51 #38172 by PKM
Great!
Is there a video of your machine?

More
29 Aug 2013 02:18 - 29 Aug 2013 02:25 #38197 by ddmotim
Not much to show yet, but here it is cutting a circle in foam. Don't mind the platform not being level--this was just the first test. Still a long way from being complete, but it is moving!

Edit: My video doesn't want to upload, so I'll put it on a hosting site later and post the link here
Last edit: 29 Aug 2013 02:25 by ddmotim.

More
24 Nov 2013 04:59 #41138 by PKM
Hi there,
Any news, videos? :)

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds