M6 Remap for ATC with carousel

More
11 Nov 2021 07:49 #226073 by bevins

Already got a window that said:

pycall(remap.change_prolog) fail

Not sure what different results I would get from a terminal. Nor do I know how to do that.

Open a terminal and go to your linuxcnc config machine directory. type in :   linuxcnc (machinename).ini

This is an invaluable tool when doing remaps. you can put print statements and track what your remap is doing. When the interpreter ignores you, you can sometimes at least see why, 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2021 08:01 - 11 Nov 2021 08:03 #226074 by bevins
The last paragraph of Section 4   Upgrading existing system for Remapping  shows you how to do it.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2021 08:03 by bevins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael

More
11 Nov 2021 18:22 - 11 Nov 2021 18:22 #226125 by Michael
A quick video for documentation purposes

Last edit: 11 Nov 2021 18:22 by Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Nov 2021 19:48 #226506 by Michael
Trying to figure out the last little error I have in this operation. This is a 22 pocket tool changer and index is at pocket 1.

When changing tools the changer is counting pockets 2-23 with mechanical pocket 1 being pocket "23" as far as linuxcnc is concerned.

So my tool table entries are linear T1 is in P1; T2 is P2 etc.

When I request M6T1 the carousel rotates to mechanical pocket 2 and picks up that tool showing T1 as being loaded now.

Any ideas?

More
14 Nov 2021 20:55 #226507 by Michael
Answering my own question. For a non random tool changer it ignores pocket number in the tool table and goes in order of the actual tool.tbl file. So you would need to remove the entry for T0 in the table.

Now that being said I added a 23 tool entry and called it via MDI and the tool changer wrapped around and went to pocket 1 to grab that tool. It also rewrote the tool.tbl file and kicked T1 to the next line on the file. This change didn't show up in the tool table editor however. I would imagine this behavior is a bug in the tool table editor reading the file.

Is there anyway to make a non random tool changer actually use the pocket number in the table and not go by list order? I would love to leave a bunch of tool entries in the table and designate what pocket they are in when I load them into the changer.

More
17 Nov 2021 21:42 #226791 by andypugh
Wrapping was a deliberate choice, it allows you to use several tools in the same physical pocket with different offsets.
(Especially useful with a lathe where you might want to use different corners of the tool)

I don't guarantee that it helps, but you could try running iov2 instead of io.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/iov2.html

Though I admit that isn't the clearest documentation that I have ever read.

Basically in the [EMCIO] section swap EMCIO = io to EMCIO = iov2 and see if the behaviour is better.

More
18 Nov 2021 07:13 #226841 by Michael
iov2 uses the same process for determining pockets on a non random changer. The pocket is based on the order of the tool.tbl list and not the pocket written into the file.

What part of linuxcnc controls those variables being read. Would it be an easy switch to make it use the pocket number listed in the tool table?

More
18 Nov 2021 10:41 #226850 by bevins
You could drop the component and use classicladder for operating your magazine  and python to control the tools in the corresponding pockets, or use pure python remap. I think you can do an ngc remap with clasicladder and just use classic ladder for operating your magazine. This should be no problem if you can pass arguments to classicladder.

More
18 Nov 2021 16:02 #226885 by andypugh

iov2 uses the same process for determining pockets on a non random changer. The pocket is based on the order of the tool.tbl list and not the pocket written into the file.

That sounds wrong, and I feel is something that has been fixed more than once. 

Where are you getting the pocket number from? I am pretty sure that the HAL pin gives the number from the pocket column but certain other interface might not. 

More
18 Nov 2021 18:37 - 18 Nov 2021 23:49 #226903 by Michael
Apparently on a random tool changer the pocket number matters but a non random tool change uses the tools as listed in order on the tool.tbl file not the tool table editor.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/code/code-not...able_and_toolchanger
  • When LinuxCNC is configured for a nonrandom toolchanger, the pocket number in the tool file can be any positive integer (pocket 0 is not allowed). LinuxCNC silently compactifies the pocket numbers when it loads the tool file, so there may be a difference between the pocket numbers in the tool file and the internal pocket numbers used by LinuxCNC-with-nonrandom-toolchanger.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2021 23:49 by Michael.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds