Noobie question - Spindle speed

More
08 Oct 2018 10:05 - 08 Oct 2018 10:56 #118534 by jools
Hi all

I'm looking at getting spindle speed readings into my LCNC monitor and just wondered if anyone can point me to a good guide of what I need to do on both hardware and software? Just looking initially to get the spindle RPM but if it's just as easy to set up for rigid tapping I would go that route.

My setup is a converted sieg X2P mill with belt drive, spindle speed currently controlled on machine by manual dial, no VFD and my electronics is a leadshine MX3660.

I have no idea what I need to do though I have researched quite a lot so if anyone can help and point me to off the shelf of homebuilt solutions it would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jools

Edit. Looks like I only have one spare input on the MX3660 as the other three are for homing.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 10:56 by jools. Reason: Add info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2018 11:20 #118535 by Clive S
Jools Are you in the UK and if this is the machine you purchased from Baz in Manchester. Email me and I might be able to help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
08 Oct 2018 11:57 #118536 by andypugh
You will need at least one sensor triggered once (or more) per spindle rev to read spindle speed.

You need a three-channel quadrature encoder to do rigid tapping. Rigid tapping needs to be able to detect both direction and index to be able to work.

I made my own spindle encoder for my Chinese mill, you can see it (out of focus) at 23 seconds in this video . It needed to be made top-hat shaped to be able to fit that spindle.

With only one spare input channel you won't be able to do rigid tapping.

More
08 Oct 2018 18:24 #118551 by jools

Jools Are you in the UK and if this is the machine you purchased from Baz in Manchester. Email me and I might be able to help.

Hi Clive
Yes that's me. I've converted her to linear guides for super accuracy and now have 200mm Y travel to play with. Spindle speed would be very useful for me. Just a readout for a start but if it's as easy (or a bit more) to do rigid tapping I'll go the whole hog.

I've requested you as a connection so we can private message.

Jools

More
08 Oct 2018 18:41 #118552 by jools

You will need at least one sensor triggered once (or more) per spindle rev to read spindle speed.

You need a three-channel quadrature encoder to do rigid tapping. Rigid tapping needs to be able to detect both direction and index to be able to work.

I made my own spindle encoder for my Chinese mill, you can see it (out of focus) at 23 seconds in this video . It needed to be made top-hat shaped to be able to fit that spindle.

With only one spare input channel you won't be able to do rigid tapping.

That video is great!

I thought that my self about the rigid tapping.

With my one spare input can I just read spindle speed? If I set up a ring with one sensor do I just plug it into the input on the MX3660? If I do that do you know what changes I would have to make in any of the configuration files and are they easy (bit of a noob in terms of computer programming and the language in the HAL file).

Cheers

Jools

More
08 Oct 2018 19:47 #118556 by andypugh
Yes, one channel is enough to just monitor spindle speed.
You might be able to get more than one pulse per rev using a proximity sensor detecting one of the head gears. Or the corners of a nut. Or a keyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
08 Oct 2018 20:47 #118561 by jools

Yes, one channel is enough to just monitor spindle speed.
You might be able to get more than one pulse per rev using a proximity sensor detecting one of the head gears. Or the corners of a nut. Or a keyway.

Thanks. Any advice on the settings files?

More
08 Oct 2018 21:37 #118564 by andypugh
parallel port?

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/encoder.9.html
loadrt encoder num_chan=1
addf encoder.update-counters base-thread
addf encoder.capture-position servo-thread
net pulse parport.0.pin-99-in => encoder.0.phase-A 
setp encoder.0.counter-mode 1
setp encoder.0.scale 0.016666666
net spindle-velocity encoder.0.velocity
Then you need to hook up the spindle-velicity signal to some sort of GladeVDP or PyVCP display.

More
09 Oct 2018 10:22 #118579 by Clive S

Jools I have answered your pm. If I remember this was running on linuxcnc 2.6. The first thing to do is make a backup of the config folder and put in on a usb stick off the machine. You can also add another PP to get a few more inputs.

Andypugh input is very valid and helpful and will be a good start.

More
09 Oct 2018 18:02 #118600 by jools

Jools I have answered your pm. If I remember this was running on linuxcnc 2.6. The first thing to do is make a backup of the config folder and put in on a usb stick off the machine. You can also add another PP to get a few more inputs.

Andypugh input is very valid and helpful and will be a good start.

The spare input is on the BOB and stepper driver, I think the PP has three or four spare inputs and quite a few spare outputs. Couldn't find out how to message you though, not sure this forum has the functionality.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds