Retrofitting Morbidelli Author 400

More
22 Apr 2022 11:39 - 14 Jan 2024 20:55 #240883 by sm2wmv
Hi,

I have a Morbidelli Author 400 machine which has got a NUM 1020 control today that I wish to convert. I have issues with the control PC has not failed and I have wanted to change the control system for something modern anyway for quite some time. I have been using it to mill a lot of aluminium and have done some modifications to it. I could possibly use the NUM 1020 controller but I feel it would be too much of a headache compared to just going with linuxcnc.

The mill uses Yaskawa 1xSGDB-15VD and 2xSGDB-10VD servo drives thus I am leaning towards using Mesa 7I97 for this. I think they should directly interface without problems. Thoughts?

The Control cabinet has got all I/O going to relay or an I/O board so doing the conversion should be rather easy. See picture,

So my idea is to make an own PCB with all connectors that exist on the current NUM 1020 controller and have this board as a interface towards the mesa boards. I will put any drivers needed for relays etc on my own board. There are 48 relays that need to be driven and there are 64 inputs. However not a lot of inputs are used, so I could probably skip having that much inputs. I think I will chose an 7I80HD-25 for this control thus just using a ribbon cable over to my own PCB.

I will be using a 22" touch screen as on the CNC plasma table shown below and also probably have mechanical buttons plus an MPG.

What are you thoughts of all this? Should I do it in another way? I chose the mesa cards a bit depending on what is available right now, so I will try to buy them as quickly as possible. I need to look into a bit how I will control the VFD but I believe that should be easy.

VFD and servo drives

Control panel

The mill standing as when it quit working :) 

Bonus picture of the Plasma CNC also running linuxcnc
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jan 2024 20:55 by sm2wmv. Reason: Changed title
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2022 23:13 #240940 by andypugh
You wouldn't use a 7i97 _and_ a 7i80. It would generally be one or the other, and then suitable daughter cards.

The 7i64 might be an option to replace the relays (48V / 2.5A drivers)

More
26 Apr 2022 11:13 - 26 Apr 2022 11:18 #241281 by sm2wmv
Is there any reason if I should change and use step/dir mode of the CNC servo drive instead of +/- 10V analog drive? I can see the drive does support both but right now as the original machine is using +/- 10V.

Should this topic be in the CNC Machines category instead of Milling? Saw now it fits better there.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2022 11:18 by sm2wmv.

More
26 Apr 2022 13:28 - 26 Apr 2022 13:30 #241289 by sm2wmv
Current plan is,
7i97
7i74
7i70
7i71 or 7i72, need to check if its source or sink today
Possibly 7i73 for control panel

I don't really want to replace the relay boards because the voltages those relays switch varies, some is switching mains voltages. Also for simplicity it is quite easy to just attach the cables today directly to the mesa driver board without much effort.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2022 13:30 by sm2wmv.

More
26 Apr 2022 14:52 #241298 by sm2wmv
Or would it be better to use some other card combination that does work with pcconf directly making it easier to tune the axises etc? From what I understand the 7i97 is not supported directly by pcconf?

More
26 Apr 2022 15:16 #241302 by andypugh

Is there any reason if I should change and use step/dir mode of the CNC servo drive instead of +/- 10V analog drive?

I can't think of a good reason to do that, I would stick with +/-10V

More
26 Apr 2022 15:20 #241304 by andypugh

Or would it be better to use some other card combination that does work with pcconf directly making it easier to tune the axises etc? From what I understand the 7i97 is not supported directly by pcconf?

It's not so hard to get something close and edit it. 

Also: github.com/jethornton/mesact

More
27 Apr 2022 07:35 #241358 by sm2wmv
Thank you!

More
26 Jan 2023 18:30 #262951 by Dragonick
hi,
I have the same machine and I want to convert to linuxcnc. How was the upgrade for you? What stage are you at?
What cards did you end up using?

More
30 Jan 2023 12:31 #263229 by sm2wmv
I have not gotten started on this. I did do a translation of the schematic from Italian to English and I have bought all the boards I believe I need.

I ended up buying,
MESA 7i74 Eight Channel RS-422/485 interface/ RJ45 Breakout
MESA 7i71 Isolated remote power driver card sourcing outputs
MESA 7I70 Isolated remote digital input card
MESA 7I87 Remote isolated Analog input card
MESA 7I97 Ethernet interfaced Analog servo plus I/O

Might be a bit overkill on the amount of I/O but I felt it was the easiest way to do it on this machine.

I intended to do a PCB which interfaces between all these MESA boards and the current connectors in the unit but I think I will skip that and just make a panel which holds all the PCBs and route all cables and add them to the boards cable by cable.

I will update this thread when I start working on it, which is hopefully soon because I need the machine.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.669 seconds