Wabeco CC-F1210 LinuxCNC conversion

More
07 Oct 2023 11:09 #282493 by NTwoO
Hi all,

Recently I acquired a Wabeco CC-F1210 CNC machine. This is my first unit and I'm very happy with the unit. I heard that there is possibly a problem with the machine. The original owner has passed away, so specific details on the current problems are not known. I have not turned on the unit yet, but will do so some time today. Reading about different controller possibilities and how "unfortunate" the regular software of Wabeco is, I was considering LinuxCNC, as I've been running single boot Linux for the past 25 years. So that is the backstory

TL;DR
What are my options to deploy LinuxCNC on this unit and how much of the existing equipment is reusable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2023 15:10 #282503 by NTwoO
Just checked the unit and everything works as expected. There is a buttons and potentiometer setup attached to the parallel port and all the stepper motors work as expected, so all the existing equipment is usable.

More
08 Oct 2023 11:32 #282536 by NTwoO
This is the hack of the previous owner. The buttons work, but looking at the connections, the direction button is shared.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Also reading on the internet it seems that not many people figured out the usage of this. is it really that difficult to use the regular controller over the parallel port? Seems a bit unlikely, seeing the simple approach followed for the rest of the Max Computers software...

More
08 Oct 2023 12:39 #282539 by Aciera

What are my options to deploy LinuxCNC on this unit and how much of the existing equipment is reusable?

You haven't really given us much to work with. All you have shown is what seems to be a machine panel that is connected using what looks like a parallel port cable. Where are motor drivers, what type?
How is the machine connected to the PC, presuming there is an external PC?
If it is connected through the parallel port ( or maybe two ports) then the conversion to LinuxCNC should be unproblematic as long as you can figure out which pin controls what.

More
08 Oct 2023 12:53 #282540 by NTwoO
The unit is a late 90's, early aughts Webaco.
File Attachment:

The panel in the photo is a creation of the previous owner with a 555 (I guess) and a few buttons. There are 3 buttons for the 3 axes and one for the direction. Then there is a potentiometer to control the 555 cycle time.

This machine must be controllable via a PC, but I haven't tried it yet.

More
08 Oct 2023 13:37 #282542 by Aciera
Maybe open up the white box sitting on the machine table with the emergency button.
What is inside?
What is on the back?

More
08 Oct 2023 14:02 #282543 by NTwoO
Here are some photo's of the PCB

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I'll do some tracing to see what pins go where.

More
08 Oct 2023 14:24 #282544 by NTwoO
Hereby some more close ups of the PCB.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

If I look at the current hack of the previous owner, it looks as if 14, 16 and 17 are the pulses for the axes. 25 is connected to the earth. 1 is currently to select inversion of the direction. It inverts all three axes. pin 3 is wired on the PCB, but not in the hack of the previous owner. My suspicion is that you can select the direction via some binary selector. Say, 13 inverts all the directions, 13 and 3 inverts only 2 and 3 inverts only one. This is worth a test... The question is how you would do non planar concentric circles with something like this..

More
08 Oct 2023 15:24 - 08 Oct 2023 16:00 #282546 by NTwoO
Yes, The 1 and the 11 come together at the CD4093BE. This is a quad 2 input NAND schmitt triggers. So maybe there is some logic happening with the two pins. Will look into it.

Last edit: 08 Oct 2023 16:00 by NTwoO. Reason: It's not 3 and 13, but 1 and 10. uh... 1 and 11

More
08 Oct 2023 20:33 - 08 Oct 2023 20:46 #282559 by tommylight
Looks simple enough, so later, busy now, sorry.
-
Edit:
The driver board uses L297/L298 drives, should work with parallel port or Mesa FPGA, but in this case, not sure how much performance you get with Mesa as the drives are pretty limited and do only full step or half step, so motors make a lot of noise.
I would change the drives first, cheap "TB6600" that do not use TB6600 (they use TBxxS109 chips) are pretty good and the cheapest of the "full box" type, i have some 20 of those in use and besides some DIP switch issues, they work perfectly well. Use it with parallel port, change microstepping to X4 or X8 and see if the velocity is satisfactory for you.
Later you can get a Mesa as that will make it possible to use the drives at X32 microstepping that makes the motion very smooth and with little noise.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2023 20:46 by tommylight. Reason: more info

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds