× Forum Header

Syil stepper drivers

More
03 Jul 2012 22:47 #21534 by tactustech
Hi all!

I'm having trouble setting up the stepper drivers on my machine as the only thing it came with was a mach3 config file and minimal information on what is needed to drive the proprietary stepper drives (2 us minimum pulse width is all they give).

Here's what I have done so far:
I have been playing with the timing and can't get a combination that causes any sort of movement. My guesses were based off a config file for a previous model by the same company.
I know the parallel port is set up and sending/receiving signals by BigJohn's tester

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2012 23:53 #21538 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Syil stepper drivers
If you zip up the macktree xml file and attach it I can convert it to a Stepconf Wizard file :)

John

More
04 Jul 2012 00:00 #21539 by tactustech
Replied by tactustech on topic Re:Syil stepper drivers
Awesome! :woohoo:

Rob

File Attachment:

File Name: X5SPN.zip
File Size:21 KB
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2012 10:51 #21553 by BigJohnT
I'm getting an error on my converter so can you tell me more about your machine? How many linear axes does it have and does it have a rotary axis. Stepconf handles only 4 axes and the 4th is assumed to be a rotary.

John

More
04 Jul 2012 11:37 #21554 by BigJohnT
Ok, I sorted out the error and here is the Stepconf Wizard file. Copy the file to linuxcnc/configs and open the Stepconf Wizard and pick Modify a configuration already created with this program then pick your config and go through each page to the end and generate it.

YOU ARE MY FIRST guinea pig so look carefully at each page.

I have verified that the Stepconf Wizard will indeed open the file and build but nothing else.

John

File Attachment:

File Name: X5SPN.stepconf
File Size:8 KB
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2012 16:12 #21561 by tactustech
Thanks man! After a quick overview it looks good. Most of the values seem like they could be correct although the spindle information looks unchanged from the default stepconfig values. I won't be back on the machine for a full test until Friday morning but once that happens I'll give you a full rundown of what I had to change.
Thanks again,
Rob

More
04 Jul 2012 16:53 #21562 by BigJohnT
I was thinking about the spindle this morning actually. Anyhow your mak config shows the spindle is step pin 2, direction pin 1 and the step pin 2 is invert.But I'm confused when look at the spindle page and it shows PWM... unless the step pin is the PWM and the direction pin is spindle CW or spindle CCW. I'm not sure how to read what it is yet. Let me know what you figure out...

John

More
04 Jul 2012 20:31 #21575 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:Syil stepper drivers
BigJohnT wrote:

If you zip up the macktree xml file and attach it I can convert it to a Stepconf Wizard file :)

John[/quote
what was the error John , i get an error also ?]

More
04 Jul 2012 20:42 - 04 Jul 2012 20:44 #21578 by BigJohnT
It is a programming error on my part on the A axis. Actually about 3 programming errors that showed up with an active A axis.

I just sent you the latest version.

John
Last edit: 04 Jul 2012 20:44 by BigJohnT.

More
06 Jul 2012 17:40 #21653 by tactustech
The configuration file looks good. I still need to set up the spindle but I currently have a problem with the parallel port.

I can play with the value using ptest.hal utility so that program seems to be able to write to the port. When I run LinuxCNC, I know the port is addressed correctly because I can see the signal initialize to high (as the .xml file says the machine wants), but when I try to jog the axis there's no waveform showing up on the pin that I'm probing. This seems to indicate there's something wrong with the pins within HAL. Is that correct? I've been trying to get through the integrator's manual and that looks like a good path for me to pursue. Are there any other areas I should look?

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds