× Forum Header

New (to me) computer. Now only one Z stepper works.

More
23 Mar 2022 07:58 #238081 by muzza
Both computers are running 2.7.15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2022 08:06 #238082 by rodw
Really if you are setting up a gantry machine with 2 motors on the Y axis,  V2.7 is not the way to go
2.8 gives much better support for this via Joint axes.

But the question remains If you had a working config, why didn't you just copy it to your new PC?

More
23 Mar 2022 08:17 - 23 Mar 2022 08:20 #238083 by muzza
A. Because I didn't know could do that.
B. Because I don't know how.
C. Because I wouldn't know which files to copy or where to find them.

Linux is a whole new kettle of fish for me.  A VERY steep learning curve for a 62 year old...

Is upgrading to 2.8 very complicated? I've only gotten this far by successfully utilising my 'monkey see, monkey do' skills.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 08:20 by muzza.

More
23 Mar 2022 08:52 #238086 by Clive S

A. Because I didn't know could do that.
B. Because I don't know how.
C. Because I wouldn't know which files to copy or where to find them.

Linux is a whole new kettle of fish for me.  A VERY steep learning curve for a 62 year old...

Is upgrading to 2.8 very complicated? I've only gotten this far by successfully utilising my 'monkey see, monkey do' skills.

Re B. Because I don't know how.
use a usb stick and copy the contents of the config folder from the old pc to the new one.

More
23 Mar 2022 13:13 #238098 by muzza
B. leads in to C.

I know how to copy files from one computer to another. But where are the files?

You both make the assumption that I know this stuff. I don’t. That’s why I’m asking for your help.

More
23 Mar 2022 13:23 #238099 by tommylight
On most Linux distros, there is a Home folder on the desktop, click on that, inside it there will be another folder with your user name, click on it, now you have several folder but one of them is always named "linuxcnc", open it, there are two folders one is named "config", inside it is the folder with your machine name, right click on it and choose copy, then select the USB device on the left side of the file explorer and right click on it, choose paste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: muzza

More
23 Mar 2022 13:43 #238101 by Clive S

B. leads in to C.

I know how to copy files from one computer to another. But where are the files?

You both make the assumption that I know this stuff. I don’t. That’s why I’m asking for your help.

Yes B leads to C. You have already found where the files are by showing the ini and hal files.

If not where did you find them ?

More
24 Mar 2022 00:19 #238178 by muzza
My response was to "why didn't you just copy the working config to the new computer". The .hal and .ini files aren't the config.

or are they?

Maybe I should have written "which files" instead of "where are they"

This stuff may be bread and butter to you experts, but geez you make a lot of assumptions about the ability and knowledge of the person asking the question. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help, but I can't help but notice a touch of aloofness.

I tried copying what I THOUGHT might be the config to the new computer, but then I couldn't make a connection at all. The start button on the top left is greyed out and not doing anything.

Thank you Tommylight for the concise instruction. I'll try that tonight when I get home from work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Mar 2022 21:22 #238274 by andypugh

My response was to "why didn't you just copy the working config to the new computer". The .hal and .ini files aren't the config.

or are they?

They are most of it. The "config" is that whole folder where the HAL and INI are located. 

Are you jogging "Y" and expecting both "Y" motors to move? Ir are you jogging Y2 as an "A" axis at the moment? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: muzza

More
25 Mar 2022 06:27 #238303 by muzza
Thanks Andy. I was trying to jog both Y motors at the same time.

I followed the instructions given by Tommylight above and it now works properly.

I still don’t understand why the other config didn’t work as I followed the exact same setup procedure.

One day, when I’m REEEEEALLY bored, I might look at the new and old .ini and .hal files side by side and see if I can find the difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds