× Forum Header

New (to me) computer. Now only one Z stepper works.

More
25 Mar 2022 06:39 #238304 by muzza
Hi Rodw. Is the joint axis thing the only reason to upgrade to 2.8?

I’ve finally got everything working again and the last thing I want to do is muck about with the command line. My machine is only 700mm wide so it’s unlikely to go too far out of square. If the joint axis is the main reason, it seems prudent to stay put?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2022 07:23 #238306 by rodw
I have never used 2.7 so I can't really comment. Its quite an old version now so a lot has changed... Whether you need those changes I can't say.

I guess if you have it working, its fine... for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: muzza

More
25 Mar 2022 11:54 #238328 by tommylight

..... it seems prudent to stay put?

Yes.

More
11 Apr 2022 06:53 #239894 by muzza
Well I finally got to make some dust. 

1st job - surface the spoilboard. 

But it never completed- it kept stopping randomly,  showing no errors on the screen, I noticed that the controls were greyed out, so the computer looks like it lost connection to the machine somehow. 

I checked that all my connections were screwed down and tried again. 

it still stopped randomly. Sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes. 

I tried a different computer but now the original problem is back - only one Y stepper is working. I tried replacing the config files with the old ones that worked, but still only one Y stepper rotates. 

I swapped the stepper connections and the other stepper works. The non rotating stepper has power as it is locked. It just won’t rotate. 

I have a spare HDD that I installed 2.8.2 on. I gave that a try and it also only allows one stepper to rotate. 

It’s just one problem after another…

More
11 Apr 2022 22:26 #239984 by andypugh

But it never completed- it kept stopping randomly,  showing no errors on the screen, I noticed that the controls were greyed out, so the computer looks like it lost connection to the machine somehow. 

Sounds like electrical noise tripping the limit switches. (or even the stop button, if you have one) 

(Though I would expect that to show a limit switch fault) 

Another possibility is spindle-at-speed going false, if that is connected. 

More
13 Apr 2022 01:41 #240105 by muzza
Yes. the fact that there are no faults showing has me stumped.

I have limit switches on each axis, each with shielded cable. There is a stop button on the front of the control/electronics box. I don't have a 'trailing lead' stop button yet.

The spindle is operated independently at the moment. I just switch it on manually. I haven't hooked the VFD up to the Gecko yet.

More
13 Apr 2022 01:45 #240106 by muzza
Regarding the Y stepper not working, I think it could be the spare computer's parallel port or some other issue related to that PC.

I put the HDD back in the original PC and the stepper started working again.

More
13 Apr 2022 12:12 - 13 Apr 2022 12:14 #240141 by muzza
Well I’ve confirmed that there’s an issue with the parallel port.

Both HDDs have the Y steppers running in tandem on the ‘new’ PC, and both only operate one Y stepper on the dinosaur.  (Case closed)

I think I’ve also narrowed down the random stopping issue.

Somebody suggested I check the earth/shield/ground and… long story short, I discovered the shielding in the very expensive shielded cable I bought from MakerStore has a resistance of 50 ohms over a 4 metre length. For comparison, the shielding in the MUCH smaller X limit switch cable measured only 0.8 ohm.

That’s probably contributing to the problem, if not the sole cause of it.

I’ll pick up some more shielded cable tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2022 12:14 by muzza. Reason: Typo

More
13 Apr 2022 15:42 #240154 by tommylight
Water with a lot of salt will have less than 50 ohms over 4 meter length! :)
That is no good, so might be a good idea to also measure the cable resistance or just throw in the trash, i would not trust such a cable on my machines, not even for testing.

More
14 Apr 2022 04:47 #240206 by muzza
Agreed. That cable is no longer associated with this project.

But before I put it in the bin, I’m going to ask for a refund. That stuff wasn’t cheap.

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds