Wireless-N USB Network Connection Zoom model 4411

More
22 Nov 2011 05:52 #15014 by Carl Harden
I am new to Ubuntu and I have loaded it on to a computer using the Live CD. All is working to my knowledge.My CNC machine is in the garage and I was wanting to connect to internet using wireless on my Clear modem/WIFI
I purchased a Zoom Wireless-N USB model 4411 adapter. Now the fun parts starts. Where do I get a driver to allow it to work!

The software included only covers Window 7,Vista, X P, and 2000. Looking on the net has confused the issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction and pull my trigger! I need a how to fix it -to get it up and working.;)

Thanks

Carl Harden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2011 08:37 #15015 by ArcEye
Hi

See ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625261 and the links contained within it.

The driver for the chipset is built into the kernel but clashes with another driver which needs blacklisting.

regards

More
22 Nov 2011 16:13 #15022 by Carl Harden
I worked all these years in Windows --I not up on how linux works to get drivers working . I just read up on ndiswrapper and how it is to work.

Would you suggest trying to roll a driver from the software sent for windows. and does Ubuntu have the ndiswrapper already in stalled from the Live CD?
Thanks

More
22 Nov 2011 16:46 #15023 by ArcEye
Hi

No forget ndiswrapper - that was a red herring in the thread - the person who posted had tried installing it, he didn't need to and it didn't work.

The problem appears to be that there are 2 modules which could control your device, the community maintained one the 2800usb does not work as well as the proprietary ralink rt2870sta one, but until the 2800usb module is blacklisted, they are both trying to 'grab' the device and preventing it working.

You need to follow the links, esp this one :- ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1342593
and hopefully you will get it working quite simply.

If it still does not work because the Vendor:Device ID is not recognised, there is a link which explains editing the udev rules to specifically include your device so that it is recognised.

I have had to do this for a new Epson multifunction printer in the past and it worked fine.

Just sit down and plough through it, establish which chipset your device has (looks like 2870) and follow the instructions accordingly.
Looks like Ubuntu 10.04 should have the module you need built in, just need to get rid of the interference from the other module(s).

regards

More
05 Dec 2011 02:58 #15387 by TarHeelTom
I've got a similar problem.

Tried to run an mp4 video, and it tells me the driver is not installed, and tries to get it, but can't find the internet.

Got the emc2 computer installed in the garage, and is a bit far to run a CAT6 cable.

Had an old Wifi dongle hanging around which had worked in the past, but now appears to be dead.

Went to Amazon and newegg and there are hundreds of dongles available, but none of them APPEAR to work with linux.

Anyone got any idea which dongle(s) might work best with Linux?

Thanks

Tom

More
05 Dec 2011 08:44 #15392 by ArcEye
Hi

I use homeplugs and wired LAN.

My workshop is 200ft from the house but I get full speed broadband in it.

I had to fit a filter to the mill, which has a 3 phase motor and inverter, otherwise the noise on the line knocked it out.
I even have a wireless extender homeplug in the workshop so that I can connect on my android phone!

Must plug them into proper ring main sockets, not extension leads, especially not surge protected ones, and they work great.

These are them, but there are many makes on the market

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solwise-HomePlug-AV-5...&hash=item4ab12777c9

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solwise-85Mbps-HomePl...&hash=item2a13c1cbf5

regards

More
05 Dec 2011 10:52 #15397 by TarHeelTom
Interesting items, but these wouldn't work for those of us who live in the colonies.

Tom

More
05 Dec 2011 11:23 #15398 by ArcEye
?

They seem to call them Powerline rather than Homeplug in the US, but Netgear seem to think they work there

www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-Powerline-AV-20...&hash=item3a6d853f15

More
05 Dec 2011 13:18 #15402 by TarHeelTom
ArcEye wrote:

?

They seem to call them Powerline rather than Homeplug in the US, but Netgear seem to think they work there

www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-Powerline-AV-20...&hash=item3a6d853f15

Am I understanding this correctly?

I plug one of these into the wall near my router, and hook it to the router with CAT6 cable.

Then I plug another into an outlet in the mill, and hook it to the mill computer with CAT6 cable?

Tom

More
05 Dec 2011 14:26 #15406 by ArcEye
Thats about it.

Preferably plug the one in your workshop as far from the machinery as possible, to minimise the noise in the line from the machinery.
You may have to experiment to find the optimum placement depending upon how your garage is wired, they should be on a ring, not a spur.
As I said earlier, I had to fit a filter to the supply to my mill to prevent noise being passed back into the mains when the motor was running.

I didn't think they would be any use until I tried them.
They are far faster than wireless and just invisible as far as the LAN is concerned.

I use them in the house too, my satellite receiver / recorder can use it to get net content and I stream music and video from my NAS to my little media computer hooked into the TV / Audio etc

regards

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds