Wireless-N USB Network Connection Zoom model 4411

More
05 Dec 2011 17:31 #15410 by Harry_Y
My 2 cents.

I am a network guy by trade and I only use Wireless as a last resort.

I try to run a cable when ever possible, the cable can be ran pretty far without problems.
If the garage is not attached you can always bury a garden hose and fish the cable through it.

CAT 6 is most likely overkill for this use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2011 17:54 #15411 by TarHeelTom
ArcEye wrote:

Thats about it.

Preferably plug the one in your workshop as far from the machinery as possible, to minimise the noise in the line from the machinery.
You may have to experiment to find the optimum placement depending upon how your garage is wired, they should be on a ring, not a spur.
As I said earlier, I had to fit a filter to the supply to my mill to prevent noise being passed back into the mains when the motor was running.

I didn't think they would be any use until I tried them.
They are far faster than wireless and just invisible as far as the LAN is concerned.

I use them in the house too, my satellite receiver / recorder can use it to get net content and I stream music and video from my NAS to my little media computer hooked into the TV / Audio etc

regards

Had intended to plug them into an outlet strip INSIDE the mill cabinet. That outlet strip is on a separate lead from the VFD for the motor, but on the same breaker. The power cabinet for the mill is only perhaps 4 feet from the breaker panel.

On the other hand, I don't normally ask the computer in the mill to do much outside work when the mill is running, so that probably wouldn't be much of a factor.

Main use for the network would be moving ngc etc files from the Windaze computer in the office to the mill computer. A secondary use would be internet access for the purpose of installing new Linux drivers when necessary. For instance, I like to make an mp4 file of the toolpath preview. I take it to the computer now on a thumbdrive, and review it just before starting to cut. Currently the mill computer won't play an mp4 file, claiming it needs to install a new driver.

Tom

More
05 Dec 2011 18:03 #15412 by TarHeelTom
Harry_Y wrote:

My 2 cents.

I try to run a cable when ever possible, the cable can be ran pretty far without problems.
If the garage is not attached you can always bury a garden hose and fish the cable through it.

Thanks for the opinion.

What kind of cable would you use, if not CAT 6?

Personally, I like the simplicity of a cable.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I've got absolutely no experience in networking. I've got a wireless router in the house now, and it does distribute internet to the other computers, but the wireless dongle I had to use on the mill computer is now dead (maybe 10 years old).

The distance isn't a big factor, probably less than 50 ft. straight line, but would have to be routed through six rooms and across four doorways to get from the garage to the office, or through the attic. None of the three of use is agile enough to be crawling through the attic.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

More
06 Dec 2011 00:06 #15414 by andypugh
TarHeelTom wrote:

The distance isn't a big factor, probably less than 50 ft. straight line, but would have to be routed through six rooms and across four doorways to get from the garage to the office, or through the attic. None of the three of use is agile enough to be crawling through the attic.

I WDS to a second router in the garage, then plug the EMC2 machines into that with cables, no driver worries on the EMC2 macines that way.

More
06 Dec 2011 01:41 #15417 by Harry_Y
TarHeelTom wrote:

Harry_Y wrote:

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the opinion.

What kind of cable would you use, if not CAT 6?

Personally, I like the simplicity of a cable.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I've got absolutely no experience in networking. I've got a wireless router in the house now, and it does distribute internet to the other computers, but the wireless dongle I had to use on the mill computer is now dead (maybe 10 years old).

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Sometimes cat 5 is cheaper so it is fine to use

I have my whole house wired in cat 5 and run GB over it.

More
06 Dec 2011 12:08 #15425 by BigJohnT
Harry_Y wrote:

My 2 cents.

When I wired my garage/shop (detached) I also ran a 1" conduit from the house to the shop for data com. Just for future proofing I ran 3 cat 6E cables (I do like the connectors better) from the house to the shop.

John

More
07 Dec 2011 15:33 #15446 by Harry_Y
BigJohnT wrote:

Harry_Y wrote:

My 2 cents.

When I wired my garage/shop (detached) I also ran a 1" conduit from the house to the shop for data com. Just for future proofing I ran 3 cat 6E cables (I do like the connectors better) from the house to the shop.

John

Yes always best to run extras when you can,

Also if you can, leave a piece of string plastic twine etc
ran in the conduit so you can pull more lines if needed.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds