Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
05 Oct 2023 17:47 #282386 by cncmiljc
I wanted to say the following, if it would be possible to use Dma Stepgen with the nven with the stm207 and also with the 407

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2023 18:51 #282387 by chrstrvs
Following my resent failures this is what I've done and where I am at now:

- Flashed the NVEM with the Remora firmware
- Installed Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy), so Buster 32 bit
- Installed xrdp to enable Remote Desktop
- Followed the guide to install LinuxCNC at remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sof...nc-installation.html, but since I had issues with the Pi not booting after installing the realtime kernel, I instead installed 5.15.65-rt49 according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi.
- Installed the Remora NVEM component
- Followed Scott's videos to configure ethernet
- Flashed the basic config to the NVEM

- I am able to ping the NVEM at 10.10.10.10
- I am able to start LinuxCNC and get out of emergency stop
- I am not able to request movement. If I do, I get "joint [0-2] following error"

I really wan't to move on and reinstall the NVEM in my CNC and continue with configuring LinuxCNC, but I'm stuck with this error.
Scott, help!

More
05 Oct 2023 18:58 #282388 by oficinerobotica

Following my resent failures this is what I've done and where I am at now:

- Flashed the NVEM with the Remora firmware
- Installed Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy), so Buster 32 bit
- Installed xrdp to enable Remote Desktop
- Followed the guide to install LinuxCNC at remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sof...nc-installation.html, but since I had issues with the Pi not booting after installing the realtime kernel, I instead installed 5.15.65-rt49 according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi.
- Installed the Remora NVEM component
- Followed Scott's videos to configure ethernet
- Flashed the basic config to the NVEM

- I am able to ping the NVEM at 10.10.10.10
- I am able to start LinuxCNC and get out of emergency stop
- I am not able to request movement. If I do, I get "joint [0-2] following error"

I really wan't to move on and reinstall the NVEM in my CNC and continue with configuring LinuxCNC, but I'm stuck with this error.
Scott, help!

​​​​I had the same problems until I did a full erase of the chip before reflashing the board.  Try that. I'm on mobile and don't remember the command exactly but do "pyocd -h" in a terminal and you will get the idea. Then reflash the board. 

Might not solve your problems but worth a try

More
05 Oct 2023 19:14 #282390 by chrstrvs

​​​​
I had the same problems until I did a full erase of the chip before reflashing the board.  Try that. I'm on mobile and don't remember the command exactly but do "pyocd -h" in a terminal and you will get the idea. Then reflash the board. 

Might not solve your problems but worth a try

Hey! Thanks for the reply!

I did that and got this back:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/.local/bin/pyocd", line 6, in <module>
    from pyocd.__main__ import main
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    from . import gdbserver
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/gdbserver/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from .gdbserver import GDBServer
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/gdbserver/gdbserver.py", line 50, in <module>
    from ..commands.commander import ToolExitException
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/commands/commander.py", line 25, in <module>
    from ..core.helpers import ConnectHelper
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/core/helpers.py", line 26, in <module>
    from ..probe.aggregator import DebugProbeAggregator
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/probe/aggregator.py", line 83, in <module>
    load_plugin_classes_of_type('pyocd.probe', PROBE_CLASSES, DebugProbe)
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/core/plugin.py", line 97, in load_plugin_classes_of_type
    plugin = entry_point.load()()
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/importlib_metadata/__init__.py", line 209, in load
    module = import_module(match.group('module'))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/probe/cmsis_dap_probe.py", line 28, in <module>
    from ..board.mbed_board import MbedBoard
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/board/mbed_board.py", line 21, in <module>
    from .board import Board
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/board/board.py", line 23, in <module>
    from ..target.pack import pack_target
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyocd/target/pack/pack_target.py", line 51, in <module>
    import cmsis_pack_manager
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cmsis_pack_manager/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
    from .cmsis_pack_manager import ffi, lib
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cmsis_pack_manager/cmsis_pack_manager/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    lib = ffi.dlopen(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), 'native.so'))
OSError: cannot load library '/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cmsis_pack_manager/cmsis_pack_manager/native.so': /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by /home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cmsis_pack_manager/cmsis_pack_manager/native.so)

I don't know what to make of that, but it did not make me any smarter
If you happen to remember how you did a full chip erase, please let me know! I will try to search for the answer myself in the meantime.

By the way, when you say reflash the board, do you mean flash the fiwmware with ST-Link, or flash the configuration?

More
05 Oct 2023 20:10 #282396 by oficinerobotica
I mean flash the board with the STLINK
First get to flash the firmware with it's default config then you can upload a custom config via ethernet.
Any way, I have the EC500 board so in the example comands you need to substitute the name of the bin file with the one aprpriate for your board.
pyocd erase --chip --target mimxrt1050_quadspi
pyocd flash ./remora-rt1052-2.0.0-beta.bin --target mimxrt1050_quadspi -v

More
05 Oct 2023 20:42 #282397 by scotta

I wanted to say the following, if it would be possible to use Dma Stepgen with the nven with the stm207 and also with the 407

Unfortunately no, I had the original concept "working" on the STMF407 but it was just not fast enough to get the calculations done for all 6 axes within the servo thread period. The RT1052 is heaps faster.

More
05 Oct 2023 20:50 #282398 by scotta

GeremyL has been doing some great physical testing of the DMA stepgen. Chasing down missing steps, with one theory being the lack of a direction setup time.

The ability to set the direction setup time is now available.
    {
    "Thread": "DMA",
    "Type": "DMAstepgen",
        "Comment":            "X - Joint 0 step generator",
        "Joint Number":        0,
        "Step Pin":         "P1_22",
        "Direction Pin":     "P1_17",
        "Step Length":        2,
        "Step Space":        3,
  "Dir Setup": 2
    },

Latest source has been pushed to the repo and a testing bin file as well.

Can this be backported? It doesnt look like it should have to be DMA specific, but Im not too good with computers so I figured I would ask.

Also, saw you had a new repo for remora-nv docs, do you think we needed a whole new repo for the nv docs? I just figured we could jam all the nvem specific parts within the hadrware specific pages. the rest of it seems pretty much the same so it looked like we could do it all as one. Here is what I had so far for ethernet branch, I used it when I was setting up my pico-dlx board.
https://github.com/cakeslob/Remora-docs/tree/ethernet

Hi Cakeslob, 

Thanks for the start on the Ethernet docs, your right we've got more than the NVEM boards, the PicoBOB-DLX uses the same LinuxCNC components. Can you submit a pull request and I'll work in parallel with you. 

Thanks!

More
05 Oct 2023 21:14 #282400 by cncmiljc
Thank you for your response, but couldn't you share these files? I'm going to use a maximum of 4 axes and see what maximum frequency I could get..

More
05 Oct 2023 21:44 #282403 by scotta

Thank you for your response, but couldn't you share these files? I'm going to use a maximum of 4 axes and see what maximum frequency I could get..

Sure, I've just dug out the old work and created a repo to share it. If you do succeed, the DMAstepgen module would need to be updated to include the improvements in the RT1052 version.

More
05 Oct 2023 21:46 #282404 by scotta

Time to create page: 0.835 seconds