Seeking some help in finding cause of Linuxcnc freezing

More
26 May 2022 12:41 #243890 by Apollo
Dear All,

Here's a happy person, as I solved the issue! After another 'n' attempts in trying different combinations of DIMM's I finally gave up on this possible cause and tried the suggestion made by arvidb. I first went for the simple trial without connecting via another pc and as he already predicted no log was written which I could access in a next start-up.

Then, in a final desperate attempt, I borrowed an old graphics card from my son's old gaming PC. This is an msi-GeForce gtx 750 Ti. I exchanged it for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti had installed in the pc up to that moment. This immediately solved the problem! I haven't changed anything to the software (same driver as before).

I have seen the suggestion that when the mouse pointer can still be moved on the screen by moving the mouse this probably implies that the graphics card + driver are probably not the issue. After reading this myself I also focused on other hardware such as the DIMM modules. I would like to make a remark here that in my case (statistical population = 1...) I was still able to move the pointer around with the mouse, while the complete rest of the system became non-responsive. However changing the graphics card did solve my problem. Maybe this helps for others who try to solve a similar issue and currently exclude the graphics card due to the fact that the pointer arrow can still be moved around by moving the mouse.

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions, even though in the end the issue turned out to be something else than discussed. Getting feedback in these issues via a forum really helps in keeping the confidence that in the end it can be solved. Also the knowledge that others run into these issues as well is sort of "comforting".
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2022 12:27 #243983 by andypugh
If you want to do Science try putting the first graphics card back in and see if the problem comes back. It _might_ have been a bad contact in the card connector...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds